Chapter 5: Stardenburdenhardenbart

You had an extremely good sleep last night, which was unusual. Maybe it was because you were too drained from yesterday's events, or maybe because Captain Levi blessed you with his presence last night. Months ago, you would have never imagined to be able to talk this much to your cold, unapproachable Captain.

After a shower, you quickly got dressed. You put on a white blouse and your brown army jacket over it and combed through your hair. It's time for training.

Today, Instructor Keith Shadis announced that it was horseback riding day. As simple as it sounds, horseback riding is a key skill that every Survey Corps member must be trained on. Some cadets are more skilled than others, having gained experience on horseback riding during their pre-trainee days, while others struggled to even get on their horse. Luckily, you were in the former category.

The training involved riding deep into the forest and retrieving as many ribbons tied to the trees and as fast as possible. This was to train a cadet's ability to constantly switch between using the ODM gear and maneuvering back to ride the horses to safety. When you directed your horse to the starting point, a familiar red-haired figure intercepted your line of sight.

It was Johanne Olbrich.

"Careful, wouldn't want to embarrass yourself today with your outstanding ODM skills," she sneered, her wicked green eyes glaring daggers at you. You've improved your ODM skills a lot, yet she was still making fun at how you struggled in the beginning.

"Mind your business," you scoffed, expression unchanging. Then, you tugged on the reigns of your stallion and moved to a different starting point.

Training was about to begin, and this one involved heavy time pressure and competition. You're not going to let that vermin distract you if you were going to do your best. Johanne let out a growl, clearly irritated that you chose to ignore her even after she provoked you yesterday.

You managed to retrieve fifteen ribbons in total, which was considered a higher-than-average score, and returned back to the starting point with a triumphant grin on your face. You were proud of yourself for going from wobbling around in your ODM gear, to speeding through the trees effortlessly. You managed to complete the training with no injuries too.

At the end, Johanne saw how you secured fifteen ribbons, five more than what she got. Johanne scoffs and storms away from the training grounds after seeing you surrounded by the other junior cadets who praised and commended you.

"Teach me how to be as good as you!" Mario whined, galloping on his horse out of the forest and to your direction.

"You did great though, you got thirteen ribbons," you said to Mario, "Your horse seems to like you too."

"Yeah?" Mario grinned as he climbed down his horse. "I named him Horsey!"

"Wow. So creative," you stared at him perplexedly as you climbed down yours. You recalled that he owns a cat literally called Kitty. How unsurprising.

"I named mine Jean. Cause my horse's long face reminds me of his face," Eren said as he appeared between the two of you. You and Mario burst into laughter.

"Watch it," Jean growled after overhearing what Eren said, "Your face reminds me of my horse's ass."

"What did you name your horse?" Mario asked you.

"I named mine Jungfrau," you said.

"Finally, someone who named their horse normally!" Jean groaned. "Where did you even get the name from?"

"I read a book once about a snowy mountain somewhere in this world called Jungfrau, just thought it suited this horse's huge build and cold personality," you chuckled, rubbing the mane of your gigantic stallion. Though the stallion was cold and withdrawn towards others, it seemed to have taken a liking to you. For some reason, it reminded you a little of a certain aloof Captain.