Chapter 30: Beast Titan Arc Part I

Chapter 30 - Beast Titan Arc Part I

Sunset.

The night to retake Wall Maria has finally arrived, and the Scouts have gathered on the Walls. While riding an elevator up the Wall with Levi and Hange, you heard a commotion down there.

"Hange! All the best!" Flegel Reeves bellowed.

"Flegel?" Hange gasped. Turns out many have come to cheer and send off the Scouts, touching the hearts of many.

"Oh my, I don't remember getting a send-off last time," you watched in awe.

"I don't think we've ever gotten one," Hange smiled. "This is.. a first!"

Much to your surprise, Connie, Sasha, and Jean joined in the screaming, and even Commander Erwin. Spirits were high and hearts were glowing. Oh how you wished this could have lasted longer. Standing next to you on the wall was Mario, who looked a little pale.

You nudged him on the elbow. "You good?"

"Not really," he let in a shaky breath. "I'm actually thinking of bolting away."

"You serious?"

"No, I'm not," Mario whimpered, his eyes a little glassy. "I just want to go home. I want to be in my warm, cozy bed. I want to see my mom one last time before I die."

"You're not going to die. Don't you dare say things like that," you scoffed and shook his shoulder, hoping to shake some sense into him. You were deep in denial, pushing away any possible thoughts of you and him perishing.

"I'm just preparing for the worst. I was fine all day yesterday and today but now that we're about to leave the walls, I suddenly have a really bad feeling."

"It's alright to feel anxious. You'll feel better once we actually start riding."

"God, I want to go home so badly. I wish I went to visit my mom one last time," Mario sighed, running his hands through his blonde hair in distress. "Why did I even enlist in the Military?"

"If we win this battle, we'll be a step closer to opening that cafe-clinic of yours! Remember why you signed up in the first place, Mario," you tried to cheer him up. At the mention of his dream cafe-clinic, his expression seems to lighten a little. "We've survived expeditions crazier than this, we can get through this too. We have Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Hange, Commander Erwin, and Captain Levi on our side. They're brilliant and strong people, I'm sure we'll get through today too."

"Of course, I can't wait for my cafe-clinic," Mario smiled, his warm brown eyes glowing under the golden sunset. Despite your optimism towards Mario, you also have a nagging, bad feeling at the back of your mind. You feel like you're about to crumble from the pressure of being a Military Doctor Section Commander, but for the sake of your recruits counting on you, you chose to put up a strong front.

You glanced over at your thirteen doe-eyed Military Doctor recruits. Some of them only joined a few months ago and you haven't even gotten the chance to know them too well. Things are simply too hectic.

"I'll be there for you if shit goes down, okay?" you reassured him. "You can count on me to save you from a Titan."

"You can count on me too," Mario gulped. "Though I hope to stay far away from the Titans."

"We've both been assigned to stay close to Captain Levi, so we have a higher chance of surviving, okay?" you patted his back. "Just stay close to me."

Mario nodded. In a flash, you're both riding on your horses towards the woods.

Hours later.

The Survey Corps carried on walking through the forest path towards Shiganshina district. The night was terribly dark and the only light was coming from the lamps held by each soldier. Even walking was a challenge, and Scouts often tripped on rocks and the horses stumbled on tree roots. At this point, you all had to get off your horses and walk on foot since the forest path was too narrow and challenging.