Chapter 29: The Night Before

Chapter 29 - The Night Before

Doctor Kohlmann came swooping down the aisle of patient beds in the ward, observing the new medical staff like a hawk. She wasn't afraid to bark at interns for being sloppy or order residents around at an ear-shattering volume. Sure, some of your recruits were close to wetting their pants at the sight of Doctor Kohlmann, but she's the type of doctor you need to train soon-to-be Military Doctors in the Survey Corps.

In two months, she's whipped up many of your new recruits into much better shape at dealing with trauma patients.

Yes, two months have passed and many things have changed.

The Survey Corps have been busy with training. Queen Historia brings many children from the Underground to reside in a newly-founded orphanage. Levi advocated strongly for the Queen's new initiative and helped to develop it. Sometimes, Levi would stop by the farmland orphanage to oversee the children and make sure they were being treated well. Sometimes, he'd join them for breakfast and he'd clean the house meticulously. You found it endearing and even touching to see this soft side of him.

Eren has been working on hardening experiments non-stop while the engineering department has developed a terrifying new weapon — thunder spears. You've seen it in action once and frankly, you hoped to never hear a sound like that ever again.

In fact, you were so shocked by the blast that you unconsciously grabbed Levi by the arm, earning many stares of horror from the other Scouts. Levi didn't seem to mind, but you were embarrassed to your core.

Speaking of Levi, private training became a regular thing with him. You trained with him almost every night. Although you were not a fan of it, you'd be lying to say that it didn't improve your fighting skills. Your nape-cutting technique was more precise and had more strength to it, your ODM gear skills were much swifter, and you've learnt to replicate some of Levi's Titan-killing techniques (though a much milder and less scary version of it).

On a more intimate level, you've definitely built a lot of intimate moments with the Captain over the past two months. Ever since the incident, you haven't really spoken much about it to Levi. He seems to understand your circumstances and has forgiven you, and you've been loading yourself with tons of work to forget about the trauma. Being in the Survey Corps, therapy is out of the question for most soldiers.

You see him almost everyday, be it during your group soldier training, your private nightly training with him, or just in bed. Wanting to spend as much time as possible with him, you sleep over in his room quite often.

Levi didn't seem to mind most of the time, but you avoid sleeping over when you notice that he needs some time alone. Just like a cat, Levi is someone who needs his personal space. However, you do find it endearing when you haven't slept over in a while and he asks you why you haven't been coming to his room.

In the past two months, you've not only developed a closer relationship with him emotionally, but physically as well. You're not going at it like rabbits, but you've definitely done the deed with him many more times than you could ever expect. And somehow, not many in the Scouts have seemed to notice your relationship, except for Hange, Erwin, and maybe Armin. Or maybe Mikasa too.

Recently, Squad Levi visited Keith Shadis to learn of his connection with Grisha Jaeger. You didn't come along though since you were so busy with the hospital and the Military Doctor regiment coming into fruition.

With two months gone, the expedition to Shiganshina is right around the corner and he wants to make sure you're prepared for it.

Furthermore, Luca Steinhauser decided to enlist as a Military Doctor in the Survey Corps, so he's been training with you all. He's also been updating you regularly on the state of Professor Emeritus' research and your father's health condition.