Chapter 10: Asking for a friend

Chapter 10 - Asking for a friend

As you recovered in the medical ward, you received visits from several people. One frequent visitor was obviously Mario. Second was Niko Schultz, who is by right, your assigned doctor. You asked him if he came by your ward when you woke up, which he did not, and that made you really wonder who that doctor was. Perhaps he really was an intern. You also received repeat visits from Eren, who apologised profusely for acting out of formation and putting you in danger. Levi's squad visited you once, as well as Commander Erwin Smith.

During the Commander's visit, he spoke about his intention to make you and Mario Section Commanders, as Levi had warned you. You try to think back to Levi's words about not getting intimidated by the title and thinking of it as 'team leader'.

"Commander, I'm greatly honoured that you would consider me for this role, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for this responsibility," you expressed your honest concerns to Erwin.

Erwin leans back on the chair, studying you with a steady gaze. "I understand this sounds daunting to you, but as the first ever batch of the Survey Corps Military Doctors, I find it most suitable for you to take this role. I have seen your dedication and skills firsthand. You have good judgement and the will to succeed, even willingly jumping in harm's way to save Eren. Your concern and care for your comrades – it is a crucial trait for a Section Commander to have."

"I see, I'm just.. worried about letting the team down. Especially since I still have much to learn about the Survey Corps and fighting Titans."

"Don't worry, your first tasks will mainly revolve around administrative work and setting up the division with me. Of course I wouldn't plunge you to face the Titans with your Military Doctors, you aren't expected to fight Titans at this point yet anyway. Your focus will be on recruiting and getting the division's foundations running, and saving our Scouts." Erwin was imposing, his striking blue eyes authoritative yet reassuring. How could you say no to the Commander of the Survey Corps when he's allowing you to take on such a pivotal role? You were also afraid it would be rude to complain or make yourself small in front of him, and you wouldn't want this chance to slip away and fall into the hands of Johanne.

"I will do my best, sir," you nodded, hiding the hesitation in your tone.

"Trust the training you received, and the training you will receive. You won't be doing this alone, I will be there to guide you," Erwin smiles. "Besides, there is still a lot of time until you actually take on the role. We still have a sponsorship dinner to run, as well as recruitment of new trainees."

"Yes, sir," you smiled back.

Two weeks went by swiftly. You were discharged after two days in the medical ward and spent nearly a week bedridden in your quarters. Doctor Kohlmann discharged you from medical duty and put you on medical leave until you're well enough to work.

Despite your protests and claims that you were fine, she made sure you stayed put and recovered properly. You were bored out of your mind that week and your only source of entertainment was Mario. Levi doesn't come by your quarters, but when you're in the mess hall eating or taking walks around the HQ, he sometimes comes to talk to you.

After one week of boredom and rest, you spent the next week taking it slow. You tended to your patients as usual, and started planning on the new division with Erwin and Mario. You and Mario were going to be Section Commanders of the Military Doctors brigade, and there was a lot to do.

There were two major events coming up. First, preparations for the 58th expedition. Second, the sponsorship dinner for the establishment of the new Military Doctors' division.