Chapter 37: Together

Chapter 37 - Together

As expected, the Survey Corps could not hide the truth about Eren's disappearance for long. Eventually Hange disseminated the news to the Military Police and Garrison officials. Nobody was happy to hear about it, and the Survey Corps were held responsible for 'losing' Eren during the recon trip to Marley. Fortunately, Premier Dhalis Zachary and Commander Pixis were able to spare the corps from any harsh punishment from the Military Police.

For now, all you could do was just await further letters from Eren while strengthening the military. Perhaps when the right time comes, you could revisit Marley to search for Eren again.

Waiting did not take long, because Hange received intel months later that Eren was still lurking in Marley. For what? No one could tell for sure, but you also knew that Eren had some sort of plan that had to do with an upcoming festival in Liberio. It was a chance the Survey Corps had to take if they wanted to bring Eren back. Yelena and Onyankopon confirmed the legitimacy of the intel and strongly urged the corps to put plans in motion. It seems like collaborating with Zeke Jaeger has become a necessity.

"We must set up a base in Marley if we want to get Eren back," Armin suggests. "There's no telling what he would do, and we barely know anything about the festival. We must be there to gather more intel and to facilitate communication with him."

"I agree. We need to familiarise ourselves with Liberio as well if we are to be of any help," Hange fixes her glasses. "We must have plenty of supplies, gear, food, medics."

"Then we must make preparations soon," Mikasa said.

Hange wasted no time briefing the Survey Corps on the Liberio plan, pulling the core team and squad leaders into a meeting room. Raindrops began to fall, pattering heavily on the windows. Thunder and lightning ravaged the outdoors, distracting a few heads during the meeting. It felt like a bad omen.

The plan required at least five Military Doctors to be stationed in Marley along with several other Survey Corps members. You had been picked out as the Section Commander in-charge of the Military Doctors in Liberio, since you've been in Marley before, along with your experienced members Luca, Gabriel, Catarina, and Josef. As usual, Niko Schultz holds the fort back in Paradis, along with Johanne and the other Military Doctors.

You didn't like the way Levi was looking at you with lowered eyebrows and splintering eyes during the briefing. Something tells you another storm was about to unleash on you the moment you exit the doors.

"You are not going to Liberio," Levi demanded.

"Hange already decided the deployment of manpower in the briefing," you said. As you anticipated, Levi had stopped you outside the hall after the meeting.

"I'll talk with four-eyes. You must stay in Paradis, let the rest of us handle the shitstorm in Marley," he retorted as if his word was not to be argued with.

"Levi... not this again," you mutter. You remember the way Levi used to show this kind of protectiveness with you back then, you haven't seen him this triggered in a while. It's true, this conflict has everyone on edge, but that doesn't mean he can act based on selfish reasons.

"What do you mean 'not this again' ? I'm doing this for your own good."

"Are you really? Have you thought about how I would feel about this?"

"How you feel doesn't matter. Just do as I say, as your Captain."

Lightning flashes outside, the storm outside grows stronger.

"Excuse me?" Anger was starting to bubble up in your chest. Levi was trying to keep you out of things, again. Though you understood where he was coming from, it was unfair to you. It also felt like he was simply agitated by this whole situation and was taking it out on you. "You know, this is kind of insulting. You wouldn't say that to me if we didn't have this kind of relationship, and if I was just any other doctor or soldier," you said, feeling an uncomfortable lump in your throat.