Chapter 19: Dilemma

Chapter 19 - Dilemma

You let out the loudest groan in your entire life. Louder than when you were assigned to rectal examinations for a week in your intern year.

You've just dealt with Johanne and the MPs. You're crazy busy with the recruits' training and your Section Commander duties. Suddenly, Luca Steinhauser comes marching into your life and tells you that you're about to be a part of an illegal mission that involves stealing medical records right under your bosses' noses.

A mission for the greater good of humanity, but at the cost of possibly betraying the trust of your respected superiors. And most importantly, getting caught by Levi. You've just started warming up to each other again after the conflict and begun gaining his trust, and yet for the sake of finding a cure for your father and other victims of an unknown illness, you risk losing that trust.

That night, you left immediately with Luca for Wall Sina. The Survey Corps are scattered and busy, so you took the chance to leave discreetly. You decided to only visit your parents as suddenly meeting up with Prof Emeritus with Luca might strike some suspicions from the MPs. However, Luca was able to show you some of the research findings and sure enough, it's the real thing.

When you arrived at your home in Wall Sina, you pretended you were here to surprise your parents. Of course, your parents were delighted, but you were here for other reasons. You spent some time with Luca and your parents, and they almost thought you were here to introduce him as your boyfriend.

Your father's demeanor did not go unnoticed by you, he looks much more frail, pale, and weak. He ended up telling you the truth that he had been sick for a while. After all, he had been caught now that you're home. You did a full check-up on him and sure enough, Luca was telling the truth about his symptoms. It's exactly the same.

You avoided asking him about the Survey Corps as it might expose Prof Emeritus. Instead, you tried searching around the house for any clues or remnants of his past as a Scout. You went to your parents bedroom, the living room, dining room, storage room, and found no clues. However, it was only after you stepped into the basement did you notice a familiar-looking green cape peeking out of an old cardboard box. Those are your family's belongings from your old residence before moving to Wall Sina, and that box surely belongs to your father.

You quietly checked the box and sure enough, it's a very old and tattered Survey Corps cape, hidden away amongst your father's old clothes, books, and shoes. How have you not noticed this before? It's strange how you start to see things clearly the moment you know what to look for. It has been right there all along.

Seeing your father's frail state, you felt a pull in your chest and you immediately know that you simply cannot leave him to worsen. Tears threatened to pour out of your eyes when you hugged your father. You'll never forgive yourself if your father passes and you live on with the knowledge that you could have done something to prevent it. It was at this moment that your heart finally settled on a decision.

After bidding your parents goodbye, you and Luca rode the carriage back to the HQ in silence. You ended up telling Luca briefly on why you've been on edge and less trusting lately. You told him about how you were kidnapped from the HQ and dragged to a prison in Wall Sina, abused by Johanne and almost assaulted by Kepler, and rescued by Erwin and Levi. Luca was horrified, but now he seems to understand why you're so adamant on not betraying Erwin and Levi. But given the circumstances, you know you must get your hands on those records for the sake of your father.

Before you and Luca part ways for the night, he tells you that he'll try to get himself posted in the Survey Corps wards as long as possible for ease of communication. Even sending him letters would be too risky.