Chapter 33: A blood test, a basket of fruits

Chapter 33 - A blood test, a basket of fruits

There has been a perpetual unease ever since the contents of Dr. Jaeger's journal was made public. Many found it hard to accept the discoveries from Eren's basement, but the military were quick to adapt. By the time winter came to an end, the Scouts had eradicated all the Titans in Shiganshina and there were barely any Titans left beyond the Walls. This meant that exploration beyond the Walls has become an option again.

Niko was appointed as the new Section Commander of the Military Doctors, replacing Mario. There was some hesitation on you and Hange's part on how to move forward with this regiment now that the Military Doctors will likely not be fighting Titans anymore. The daily training and curriculum had been adjusted accordingly. Now, new recruits are being trained on how to fight humans too. It was a war against nations now, not just Titans. You and Niko learn how to work together as Section Commanders, and together with the help of the trust Doctor Kohlmann, you whip up new medical trainees into shape.

You finally found time to visit Professor Emeritus in Wall Sina to get your blood tested and to check on his completed drug trials. Professor Emeritus looks the same, with his white beard and vintage spectacles. He thanked you for helping with his experiment by gifting you some fine leather notebooks and a newly manufactured stethoscope that you've wanted to get your hands on for a while. You recounted how you were able to get the medical records to Professor Em, and he apologized for putting you through so much trouble with Captain Levi.

"This tablet will help build up antibodies and the right proteins, Siloprotin, for your father to fight back the Silocemia infection," Professor Emeritus explained. "It takes time for the human body to learn how to build the proteins themselves, so he will have to take a tablet daily continuously for.. I presume 3 years at least. We will observe again and see if he is required to take it for longer."

"Thanks Prof," you said while taking the canister of tablets from him.

"I'll continue to supply this for you in the next couple of years, but you will soon have to learn how to make the tablets too. In case, you know, something happens to me," Prof Em said.

"Got it."

"If you have some free time now, do let me take a blood sample for you. There is a chance you may be lacking the same proteins like your father and grandfather did. Prevention is better than cure."

You nodded and agreed to draw a blood sample. After a few hours of catching up, you decided it was time to return home. Prof Em reminds you to return in a couple weeks time to get your blood sample results and learn how to make the tablets from him.

You visited your parents' home to pass on the medicine to your father and explain how to administer it, and went back to the Survey Corps HQ, in which you were met with an unexpected situation.

"Is this.. some form of bribery?" You raised a brow at the red-headed recruit who just handed you a basket of fruits. When you returned to the HQ, you found this young man standing by your office door.

"N-no Section Commander, I just wanted to thank you for saving my life during the battle at Shiganshina. Remember me?"

Oh. Yes. Now you remember.

You finally recognized him as the lone recruit who survived the Beast Titan's bombardment. And no, it was not Floch Forster. This one's a Military Doctor. Your memories really have been blurred from all the stress and trauma of losing Mario.

"Oh," you blinked. "How are your injuries, um..." Fuck. You forgot his name.

"Josef," he smiled. His red hair and green eyes look oddly familiar. "I'm fine now, just a little traumatized. I just got out of the hospital."