32.

My feet led me to Knox's office, my hand covering the burn on my arm as the pain gradually came forth. I pushed the door in, revealing Xander standing by the window looking out at the snowy land. His head turned to me, a soft smile gracing his lips. I gave into his smile, walking over to him as he engulfed me in his arms. His mint scent filled my nose, breathing in deeply as the sparks of the bond flowed through our touch.

The floating feelings of electricity coursed into my skin from our touch, easing my nerves and forgetting our spit from last night. I could feel my body relax physically, my shoulders slump and my breathing even as I sank into the hug.

As I stood in Xander's office, the atmosphere seemed to thicken with unspoken tensions and underlying emotions. Xander's concern was evident as he gently traced the burnt edges of my dress, his touch sending tiny jolts of pain and comfort through me. His stormy eyes, usually so composed, now held a mix of worry and something deeper.

"What happened to you?" Xander's voice was laced with concern as he examined my burnt arm, his fingers skimming the damaged skin delicately, mindful of my pain. The pain grew brighter as my adrenaline seized, making me wince at his touch.

I softly met his gaze, a mixture of guilt and reassurance dancing in my eyes as I muttered, "Elijah and I were training, my fire got out of control."

"I told him that no harm should come to you," Xander asserted, a protective edge colouring his tone. My eyes met his, and in a hushed tone, I explained, "It wasn't his fault, he tried to pull me away before the flames touched me..."

"Still, Adelaide," Xander interjected, his voice carrying a hint of reprimand. I withdrew my arm, urging him, "Don't be harsh with him," my plea carrying the weight of a newfound memory that wasn't entirely my own.

I could see Xander's brow furrow together and his head tilted at my words as he spoke. "Why do you suddenly care? I thought you disliked him, heavily," Xander questioned, his probing gaze seeking an explanation. A breath I hadn't realized I was holding escaped as I softly replied, "I know what his abilities are, as I guess you already know."

"That he is a puppet master, yes I know. It was one of the reasons he and I met," Xander explained, his expression pensive and unchanging. His words hit me like a slap as I choked out, "Puppet master? That is what they call him?".

How cruel.

"He can control the body of others through their blood, making them do anything he wants. He gained the nickname after a few years of being in the upir reign," Xander elucidated, a tinge of distaste in his voice making me eye him quickly. Did he not agree with Elijah's gifts? But they are such great friends as he has shown me...

I frowned slightly, stepping away from Xander's arms and holding my injured wing to my chest, "Seems immorally wrong to call him that."

Xander stepped forward, guiding my hands into his making me relax and come back to him. His eyes gazed into mine as he asked, "I have an inkling that you saw into his mind?", his curiosity mirrored my earlier probing.

"Yes, I did," I confirmed, my gaze steady as I traced the ridges in his skin absentmindedly. I watched as Xander's eyes flickered to our conjoined hands, smiling softly before pausing. He remarked quietly, "I'm surprised, he has the mind block to a tee,", he voiced impressed yet somewhat puzzled.

My brows furrowed at his words, as I asked inquisitively, "Mind block?".

Xander paused momentarily, searching my eyes for a split second before answering. He explained, "Blocking the magic entry to your mind, it's common for lycans and upirs to use. Lycans can communicate to only others in their pack, however non-ranked lycans can only contact their Alpha. Upirs can commincate to those you have transformed them, same if you changed someone the line is always open. Aswell as fully bonded beloveds, no matter the species. Now the mind block that witches and warlocks can use is a form of magic that needed to be practiced, as Elijah I presumed had mastered"