27.

These unpredictable powers of mine kept everyone on edge. A morning where I inadvertently turned the bathwater into an icy block left me needing rescue, followed by an accidental toe-stubbing that led the fire to erupt in a sudden burst. It has been a challenge...to say at least.

To keep my volatile abilities in check, I found myself practically under house arrest, constantly under the vigilant gazes of Xander, Knox, Cassandra, or Fredrik. Yet, amidst this, Cassandra confessed about Plaetives, leading to her 'punishment' by Fredrik. Oddly enough, she seemed to relish the consequence, a subtle smirk dancing on her lips as she obediently retreated to her designated room.

It's been a few days since my whole 'make me' incident, and the mage named Elijah Anderson is coming today. Xander told me that they met when he was in America under his father's orders. His father sent him for the use of his powers, to help the Lord Moore of New York. They had a prisoner who was withholding information until his accomplice snitched leaving him useless. Xander went to dispose of him as he put it. However, he met Elijah who worked for Lord Moore and became friends.

"I think this dress would look perfect on you", Cassandra suggested, her eyes sparkling with anticipation as she presented a mesmerizing emerald gown with intricate slit details, the fabric shimmering in the light.

And Cassandra thinks this is the perfect time to dress up. I observed, arching an eyebrow at Cassandra's fervour.

"Cass...", Adelaide attempted to interject.

"You must look your best! Mr. Anderson is one of the head Mages of North America, he is basically royalty", Cassandra insisted with palpable enthusiasm. I could only roll my eyes at her words as I brushed my hair neatly. Royalty...seriously?

"He is just a man. And not even my beloveds must I remind you, I will probably just wear my trousers and a sweater. The dresses are starting to make me feel suffocated", I explained, my voice steady but firm. The amount of corsets in my closet is starting to my my ribs bruise, I don't understand how she wears them constantly.

I swear it was like I shot Cassandra's dog from the look on her face.

"Trousers? If I could die of a heart attack like my dear mammy, I would do so right now!" Cassandra exclaimed dramatically.

"You're too much sometimes," I chuckled softly, shaking my head at Cassandra's flair for the dramatic. I don't understand how men were allowed to wear such clothing, yet when a woman would it was preposterous. I shook my head as Cassandra gave me a pleading look making me give in to her antics. I stood up from the seating in our new chambers and walked over to the closet Cassandra stood beside me with the dress in hand.

"You owe me one," I snickered, retreating into the closet to change, and closing the door behind me. Her laughter echoed faintly as she strolled away, leaving me to hastily slip into the dress. As much as I hated to admit it, the dress was stunning, hugging my form elegantly against my pale complexion. Its dark emerald shade made my green eyes pop, accentuating my reddened cheeks that blossomed with colour. Gazing at my reflection, I pondered the abrupt shift from threadbare socks to this luxurious attire in just a week.

My mother would've been aghast if I'd shown her these garments.

A smile crept across my lips at the thought, a bittersweet mix of emotions threatening to overflow. I steadied my breath, suppressing the urge to cry. The last thing I needed was the mirror succumbing to my tumultuous emotions; I personally know the estate repairman by name now.

"I'm sticking to my slip-on flats. Heels aren't even an option," I declared, emerging from the closet.

"But...you're so short," Cassandra teased.