Chapter 52 - What's yours is mine

Start from the beginning

"Is there something wrong?"

"Sister's mental state has changed. Somehow, it seems like one of them has succeeded in bonding with her, just like I expected."

His lips curled into a devious smile.

"Five years ago, when we managed to capture Sister, she had already given up on humankind. Even though it's tragic, it was an inevitable consequence of her power---But this time is different. The moment she was rescued by Kunshu Lucas, she was just like the other Spirits. She experienced a human's kindness. In a world where she sunk into the abyss of society, she found a light. Isn't that such a wonderful thing?"

Westcott exchanged glances with Ellen, and... his smile creaked further.

"Well then, shall we?"

"Yes, let's. On my signal, the Realizer buried deep within her brain will activate. The moment it does, all those precious memories she lost during those last five years will come flashing back vividly."

Westcott lowered his eyes to the numerical values displayed on his screen.
Right. She realized that there was still hope. She understands now that she shouldn't resent humanity.

---Without ever knowing that this would be the cause of her despair.

"It's a simple concept, really. Rather than dropping a glass from any height, it's better to raise it up to the very peak, as high as you can. That way, it'll shatter more magnificently."

As he said that, Westcott looked up to the ceiling and raised his voice.

"Well then, let's go, Ellen. For the sake of our dearest wish."

"Yes. You're right... Ike."

Ellen responded with a quiet voice. Westcott nodded in satisfaction, and then---He looked to the person sitting in the front seat of the car.

"I'm counting on you too. Please help Ellen."

"..."

The girl shook her head without saying anything.

"A, aaa, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-!!"

Alongside Nia's blood-curdling scream, a mass of Reiryoku, like dirty mud, flowed from her body. The cement, the foliage, everything it touched melted away. Like water pouring onto a mountain of salt. Everything decayed to dust.

It wasn't just that. As she was screaming, wounds and gashes began furiously inscribing themselves into her body. An abundance of blood flowed out from those wounds.

It wasn't as if she was receiving them either, they bloomed all across her skin, just like a flower come spring, remembering that it had to open to the new season. It seemed like it was being caused by the horrible miasma expelling from her body.

And then---her Reiryoku and blood covered her entire body, distorting her appearance.