Such Feeble Beings

Começar do início

---

That same evening Kingdom of Science decided to have a meeting as for a long time you acted as if you don't have an enemy between you. You're a bit skeptical to leave Gen out here by himself, but you decided it would be probably better to act careless about what he will do while you are up in Chrome's house as everyone did the same.

Chrome's just climbing up the ladder, Senku waiting to follow after, you going up after. Guess the mentalist really saw some good chance in the fact that you're the last one to climb up. From the not that far distance, he spoke, just enough for you to hear him and for him not to shout. "Oh, Writer-chan, won't you stay here with the poor little me? It's so dark outside, and I'm so scared to wander around all by myself." You just must immediately assume he is scheming something when he speaks with that sly tone. Yet what he said sure did startle you. "Too bad we are having a meeting." Senku called out with phlegmatic tone of voice visible on that tight grin. His finger in the ear. Only in the second that both of you turned to him and the two boys looked at each other his hand fell from his ear down next to his side. Narrowing his eyes, he suddenly held a whole new demeanour. "If anything, I'm sure you can smooth-talk yourself out of any situation you might get into, mentalist." Gen seemed surprised as he raised his eyebrows, and his hands quickly hide themselves in the long sleeves of his clothing. Although, more surprising was the sudden tension that, for some unexpected reason, wasn't created by mentalist. As much as you stared at Senku, in some weird attempt to get his attention, his gaze never left the poor mentalist. What are you thinking, idiot? How can we face this guy together if you do such unexpected stuff?

"Oh my... Such reaction." Of course, mentalist saw more into Senku's behaviour from the psychological aspect than you, but what did he see? Senku stayed quiet, better than making any wrong move. You turned to Gen, seeing a cunning grin forming on his face. "I just want someone to keep me some company while you and other fellow members will be deciding on my fate. You can only imagine how afraid I am of this unfamiliar place..." As much as you tried to read into the words uttered just now by Gen, nothing seemed to answer any of your questions. And he had more to say. "Of course you can imagine it. You are afraid, too, after all." He tilted his head, simple act of nothing but of an upper hand in this very situation. "Afraid that I might convince (Y/n) to join the Empire of Might."

Your eyes widened, and Senku flinched. Your head snapped in his direction, expecting something? Would anything help anyway? Your mind has already found the answer to those questions behind Gen's previous words. Senku took a moment to answer, silence more painful than ever. The whole time trying even harder not to look at you. Eyes no longer as sharp as before. He is afraid... I don't understand. "Ku ku ku..." A sudden crack of a laugh came from the science boy. His right hand went behind his neck, changing his demeanour into that phlegmatic one again as he stretched his neck. "I said that you can smooth-talk yourself out of any situation you might get into." Mentalist froze. Senku just turned towards the ladder and climbed up, leaving you to decide for yourself whatever you want to do now. Instant flashbacks from modern times started playing in your head. That time when you've once already chosen the wrong side instead of your newfound friendship. Although this situation is not something Senku might ever get upset about again, you can tell that somewhere in the back of his mind, he... doesn't trust you. Maybe a bit more than these people from Stone age or mentalist, but not enough. It never got to that point of enough. And Gen saw it all long before you could realize.

He said that we are friends and that we can work this together. Those weren't empty words. No. Senku doesn't know something like that. That idiot is blunt and honest in any case. What did I do? What changed his mind? Who-

"Writer-chan-" "Shut up." You immediately stopped him. That's what you should have done before. Stop him before any damn word could be said by that dangerous mouth of his. "You've said enough." Muttering you turn your back to him, it's not like you have anywhere to go either. "I said merely nothing. It's you two who have grudges since the modern word." He shrugs. Gen knows what he is doing, and it takes his every effort not to smirk when you turn back to him sharply. "You-" "But I must say that there's a mistake on my side. I didn't realize that your friendship was that feeble. As a mentalist, you can only guess how that piqued my interest." He speaks as if nothing bad happened thanks to him. You just need someone to be angry at. To throw the whole blame on someone because what was revealed is true, and that hurts more. "It was always feeble... Though he sounded so reassuring this time." Your shoulders slumped in defeat. Gen stayed quiet, night swallowing whatever words you wanted to shout at him as you came to the conclusion that he only pointed out the truth. Your vision was clouded by emotions, so only an observer could see Gen's unexpected concern. He usually is very careful of his body language, this time though his locked hands in his sleeves fell from the level of his chest to level where his stomach starts, his eyes trained for analyzing seemed to relax as if saying that they took some break. "He promised... He doesn't trust me, does he? If I was at that meeting and you stayed down here, he would trust you more on not leaving than he trusts me now." Your shoulders shook, and it was hard to tell whether from the chilly night or from the emotions of betrayal and confusion, which the second option got confirmed after hearing crack in your voice. Gen moved carefully closer to you. You are so confused. How can you both always balance on that same line of being or not friends? "I don't want to be the only fool here. I don't want to trust him that much. I don't want to depend on him either." Or maybe you are friends, but just don't trust each other? Or maybe you are friends, but everything just comes in to ruin it. And that hurts the most. All the assuring words uttered by both of you, however genuine and honest , seem like nothing will make you two to fully develop those promises and efforts. "I can only guess how stressed Senku-chan must be. Any second plays a role of life and death." He spoke unusually softly, not in a comforting way, but for once, it was obvious that here are no ulterior motives. Or so you decided to believe. Unable to hold back the first two tears roll down your cheeks. Before you could quickly brush them away in the embarrassment of crying in front of Gen, a purple fabric touched your skin. Gen wiped your tears with his long sleeves and sighed once done. Sighed as if not liking what he just did. "I should give you an advise, Writer-chan-"