lxxii

James and Regulus pulled into the garage at 1:42am.

What they didn't expect was Sirius to be in the garage, covered in grease and oil.

"Oh fuck." Regulus swore, trying to arrange his clothing in a manner where it covered his fresh love bites as well as concealing the obvious fact that he was just thoroughly fucked.

James put the car into park, eyes wide.

Sirius was staring at them, the same shock mimicked on his own face.

"Do I look decent?" Regulus hissed, trying to pat down his hair so it sat neatly.

James gave him a once over and cringed.

"Oh no." Regulus's stomach dropped, "don't look at me like that. It's bad then? Really bad?"

"I can't imagine I look much better." James said.

He was right. His lips were swollen, skin flushed, eyes glassy, clothing rumpled, and fresh bruises were littered all over his tanned skin.

"Let's just get it over with," James sighed, unbuckling. "It's not like we've done anything wrong."

Regulus watched horrified as James got out of the car, having no other choice but to follow.

"Late night?" Sirius asked, keeping his eyes trained on the motorbike he was working on.

"Err—yeah." James said awkwardly. "I took Regulus around Exeter."

"Cool." Sirius said.

"Need a hand or anything?" James asked, gesturing to the bike.

"Nah, thanks," Sirius said. "I'm nearly done."

"Alright," James said, putting a hand on Regulus's back, leading him gently to the door. "Goodnight mate."

"Goodnight." Regulus repeated.

Sirius raised a hand in a wave as the couple retreated inside the house.

"Oh Merlin." Regulus groaned, leaning into James's side.

"I think I've never been more mortified in my life." James dragged a hand across his face. "Do you think we can pretend that never happened when we wake up?"

"That's my plan," Regulus said miserably as they ascended the stairs.

They ran through their nightly routines, brushing their teeth and whatnot before tangling up in the sheets.

"James?" Regulus asked with a yawn, shifting closer to his fiancé's chest.

"Yes?"

"Can you stay until I wake up?" Regulus whispered. "Or even wake me up when you leave to go run? I hate waking up alone."

James pulled back, looking at Regulus with a frown.

"Why're you just saying something now?" James whispered, tracing Regulus's jawline with his finger. "I'm sorry, I didn't know I was upsetting you."

Regulus shook his head. "It's really no deal at all. I just—I just like waking up with you is all."

James nodded with a smile. "Of course love, I'm sorry."

Regulus shook his head. "Don't be sorry."

Regulus woke up the next morning with James pressed to his back and a smile on his face.

"Good morning." James said.

Regulus turned in James's arms so he faced him. "Thank you for staying."