lxx

James and Regulus laid in bed in a contemplative silence.

Remus and Sirius were arguing in the room across the hall as they had been since James last spoke to Sirius.

"Do you think we should cast a silencing charm for them?" Regulus asked as Remus spat some crude words.

"Probably." James whispered back, however, neither of them made a move to cast the charm.

"I'm sorry it went how it did." James sighed, pulling Regulus tighter against his chest. "I should've listened to you and told them ages ago."

"It's okay," Regulus sighed, "this would have happened just the same."

"He's going to want to talk to you." James whispered, pressing a kiss into Regulus's curls.

"I know."

"Are you ready for that?"

"For once in my life; I reckon I am." Regulus said, "he might not like all I have to say though."

"He'll come around." James said, "you'll see."

The memory of Sirius punching the boy who Regulus shared his first kiss with was burning in his mind, making his stomach drop like it was full of stones. He couldn't even bring himself to mutter an agreement, instead offering a small nod.

"He'll forgive you before he'll forgive me." James said, "he never could be mad at you really, you've always been his world."

"Maybe when we were younger," Regulus sighed, "but it hasn't been like that for a long time Jamie."

"You'll see," James whispered, "it'll all be just fine."

Regulus raised his wand and cast the silencing charm they had been putting off.

"It's been a long day," he whispered, settling back in, "let's go to sleep."

James nodded, tracing the bumps of Regulus's spine down his back, "goodnight."

Regulus let his eyes close, the soothing essence of James warm against his body.

He shifted one final time, tucking his frozen feet between James calves as their legs twisted together.

Despite the day's upsets, Regulus Black had never felt like he belonged more.

Tension still hung in the air the next morning.

Regulus awoke alone in bed, James's presence still lingering where he slept.

He rolled into it, letting the warmth seep deep into his bones, inhaling the smell that had become so familiar.

James's running trainers were missing from the shoe rack by the door and Regulus yawned as he reached for a jumper.

The door to Sirius's room was still firmly closed as Regulus patted down the staircase and into the kitchen.

Remus, and Effie were sitting at the kitchen table while Monty stood over the stove in the kitchen.

"Goodmorning Regulus," Monty smiled pressing a cup of tea into his hands, "how'd you sleep?"

"Good, thanks," Regulus wrapped his hands around the mug, bringing it close to his chest.

"Morning Love," Effie called from the table, "come sit, Remus and I were just talking about electricity."

"Electricity?" Regulus asked with an amused smirk.

"Yes," Effie said, "I think it's ridiculous that they still don't use it in the castle."