xxvi

James woke up first, Regulus still fast asleep, practically on top of him.

Their legs were bent together and Regulus's arm was tossed over James's waist.

He tried not to move, scared that even shifting on his side could risk waking the other boy.

Regulus sighed, his breath warm on James's cheek.

"His curtains are spelled shut again?" James's eyes widened as he heard murmuring outside his bunk.

"Shh, what if he's awake?" Remus's voice came.

"Who are you kidding? He's not awake." Sirius's voice whispered back, "he had patrol until two—it's only six."

"Yeah," Remus hummed, "who do you think he has in there?"

"Definitely not Evans." Sirius snorted, "you reckon it's the same girl every night?"

"Dunno." Remus said, "I don't know why he hasn't told us."

"Reckon we can just blast his bed?" Sirius said, "easy way to figure out who it was."

James tensed and Regulus groaned, rolling further into him.

"Sirius. We're not doing that."

"We could though."

"What's going on?" Regulus breathed sleepily, nuzzling his nose into James's skin.

"Shh, nothing, Love." James said, running a hand through his hair, "go back to sleep."

"Why not? Moony?" Sirius whined.

"Would you want him to do that to us?" Remus scoffed.

"Well—no." Sirius huffed.

"Come on then, go back to bed." Remus said.

"Yeah, alright." Sirius sighed.

Once their voices died out, James let out a heavy sigh, rolling to wrap Regulus up in his arms.

"Who was out there?" Regulus asked, half asleep.

"Remus and Sirius," James said.

"Nosey buggers." Regulus yawned.

"Yeah." James laughed, "they are."

"'Time is it?"

"Around six I reckon," James whispered.

Regulus whined in protest, "what'd they have to go and wake us for?"

"I don't think they did it on purpose." James smiled.

"Shouldn't be so bloody loud then." Regulus sat up, rubbing his eyes. "We're sleeping in my dorm tomorrow, Potter, I can't have this interrupting my sleep schedule."

"Just come back to bed." James held out his arms, "we'll go back to sleep."

"I can't go back to sleep." Regulus pouted.

"Why not?"

"Because now I'm scared they'll actually blast your bed."

"They're not going to blast my bed."

"Want to go for a walk?" Regulus asked.

"You're serious?" James raised an eyebrow, "you want to go for a walk."

"Yeah."

"Reg, we've hardly slept." James said.

"It's Saturday," Regulus said.

"I want to be well rested for our date tonight." James protested.

"Oh, get up you big wanker." Regulus scoffed, "get me a jumper—and the cloak."