xlvi

James ran a hand nervously through his hair, pacing back into the bedroom.

He was due to leave for Lily's in five minutes, but Regulus had developed a head cold that was putting a stint in his recovery.

"What is it now?" Regulus coughed.

"I'm not going." James shook his head, sitting down on the foot of his bed.

"Yes you are." Regulus said, "and you're going to be late if you don't leave now."

"What if something happens when I'm gone? Or what if you need anything?"

"Your parents will be home the whole time you are gone, Love." Regulus said patiently, the bags under his eyes making his skin appear paler than it actually was, "and they're more than capable."

"I still don't feel right about leaving you," James grabbed his hand, "I'll just call and tell Lily I can't make it."

"I'll be fine, James." Regulus brought his hand to his lips, "I promise. You cannot call Lily ten minutes before you're supposed to be there to tell her you're not coming. You'll leave her stranded looking very pathetic."

A knot formed in James's throat. "You'll call me if anything happens? You have the numbers I gave you to connect the tellaphonie to Lily's tellaphonie?"

Regulus snorted, "yes, Dear."

"Okay." James kissed him, "I'm not staying the night, I'll come straight home."

"Stay the night." Regulus said, straightening James's bowtie, "I don't want you trying to apparate home if you've been drinking."

"I won't drink." James said. "I love you."

"I love you, have fun."

James kissed him one more time before leaving, anxiety making him feel dizzy as he descended the staircase into the sitting room.

"He'll be okay, Doll," Effie hugged him as tears started to pool in his eyes, "I promise, and I'll call you if any little thing happens and you can come straight home."

"Okay," James sniffed, "you promise?"

"I promise baby," she soothed, wiping his face, "now go have fun."

She pressed a bouquet of daisies in his hand and practically pushed him out the door.

James took a deep breath, collecting himself before apparating to Lily's.

He straightened his suit, knocking on the front door.

"Hey!" Lily swung the door open, "thank god you're here, everyone's driving me mad, come in."

"Thanks," James said, handing her the bouquet of flowers, "these are for you."

"You didn't have to get me flowers!" She smiled, taking them, "thank you."

"Of course," James said.

"Hey? Are you alright?" Lily frowned, "your eyes are all red."

James looked away quickly, clearing his throat, "yeah—yeah, I'm fine—hard couple days is all. You look pretty."

She was wearing a blush pink dress and her hair was tied back in an updo.

"Don't deflect James Potter." She scowled, "what's happened?"

"Nothing, promise." James smiled.

"Okay." She gave him a suspicious once over, but let the topic drop. "How was your Christmas?"

"Good." James said, "you?"

"Hectic," Lily sighed, "it's been wedding central here since I've got home, everyone's in Tuney's room right now helping her get ready, it's absolute hell in there. Her friends might be even worse than she is—but now that you're here, I have an excuse to duck out. Come on, I'll show you my room."