lii

Lily patrolled with James, filling in for Regulus as his partner.

He could tell she was itching to ask him something but was waiting for the right opportunity.

He was set on not giving her said opportunity.

Alas, it was Lily Evans, and Lily Evans did what Lily Evans wanted.

She seized her opportunity as they were heading back to their dorms for the night.

He walked ahead of her, thinking if he could keep a quick pace that she wouldn't be able to question him in depth before he could escape up the staircase to his room.

He was wrong.

"Oi! Potter!" Lily jogged a couple paces forward to match his pace, "why're you walking so fast?"

"I'm tall?" James offered lamely.

She rolled her eyes and linked her arms around his, forcing him to match her pace.

"Are you alright?"

"Peachy," he said shortly.

She frowned and he could feel her gaze baring into him.

"What were you reading earlier?" She asked suddenly, "in the common room?"

"Macbeth," James said.

"Macbeth?" Lily's eyes widened, "I didn't have you pegged as a Shakespeare person."

"It was recommended to me," James shrugged, "I actually don't mind it."

"Interesting," she squeezed his arm, "who's you favorite character?"

"I don't know," James admitted.

"I liked Duncan," Lily said, "he was a good king. Although I will say, I never understood why Lady Macbeth didn't just leave. If I was that miserable, I don't think I would've stayed with a man like Macbeth."

"She stays because she loves him," James argued.

"But is love enough if you need to sacrifice so much?" Lily asked.

James froze, uncertain how to reply.

Lily watched him expectantly, so he cleared his throat.

"With the right person," he started, her green eyes blazing into his, "I think love is worth everything."

"Really?" Lily challenged, "you'd give up your sanity? Your freedom?"

James nodded, "without a doubt." His answer rolled off his tongue without hesitance. "If it meant they'd be happy, I'd give the world."

"They?" Lily repeated, raising an eyebrow, "anything to say, there, James?"

James shook his head. "No. Nothing."

"I know you're in a relationship," she said bluntly, "I know it's more than shagging, it's quite obvious, really."

He stumbled over his words in a panicked blur. "What? No I'm not."

She gave him a look, "just be careful? Yeah? Nobody is worth loosing yourself for."

"I'm not loosing myself!" James bit back angrily, "what do you know?"

"Nothing," she held up her arms in surrender, releasing him from her hold as they stopped in the common room, "I know nothing, James, take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm just offering friendly advice. You've seemed—dull recently."

"I'm happy." He said, "leave it."

"If that's what you want," she offered a weak smile.

"It is," he confirmed.