xxi

September faded into October with several hidden sessions in broom closest and secret meetings throughout the castle.

James couldn't remember a time that he had been so content, school was good, quidditch was good, his friends were brilliant, and Regulus—Regulus was Regulus and that's all James needed him to be.

"Where've you been?" Remus looked up as James entered their dorm.

"Studying." James lied.

"With the cloak and map?" Remus asked pointedly.

"They were just in my bag." James shrugged, "didn't mean to take them."

"Sure," Remus smirked, "and what's your excuse for your jaw?"

"What?"

"The massive hickey on your jaw." Remus pointed it out. "Turn your head."

James did so reluctantly.

"There's one right under your ear as well," Remus pointed it out, "give it up then. Who is it?"

"Just a fling, I swear." James's stomach churned, "I did it to get over Lily. You can't tell anyone."

"Did you enjoy yourself at least?" Remus laughed.

"It's—it was good." James let an embarrassed smile sneak onto his mouth, "brilliant, actually."

"Good for you, Mate." Remus snorted, "I'll keep my mouth shut, I promise."

"Thank you." James breathed.

"I can heal those for you if you'd like me to?" Remus offered.

"That'd be great." James nodded, sitting beside him on the bed.

"These are brutal." Remus snorted, healing them, "there, done—any others?"

"Well—" James shrugged off his T-shirt.

"James!" Remus's eyes widened, "who'd you hook up with? A vampire?"

His chest to his hips were littered with dark purple love bites as well as fresh red ones.

"Jesus fuck," Remus stared in shock, "that seems like more than a fling."

"Multiple flings." James flushed. "I've been meaning to learn the spell for them."

"I'll teach you," Remus said.

"You're the best," James breathed, "really."

"It's nothing." Remus shook his head with a laugh.

"Say, Moony?" James started.

"Yeah?"

"How come you know the spell?" James asked.

"Oi!" Remus flushed, "I'm not asking any questions about your fling, you don't ask any questions either."

"Fair." James shrugged.