chapter fifty-three

Start from the beginning

Steve let out a breath. "Banner, after everything that's happened—"

"That's nothing compared to what's coming!" Tony exclaimed.

Wanda shook her head. "You don't know what's in there!"

"This isn't a game—" Steve began.

"The creature—"

Before Adelaide could process what was happening, Pietro used his speed to destroy the lab equipment. "No, no," he said, standing next to his sister once more. "Go on. You were saying?"

Adelaide jumped when the glass beneath the speedster shattered and he fell through. "Pietro!" Wanda exclaimed, shouting for her brother.

"What?" Clint questioned with a shrug. "You didn't see that coming?"

The blonde pinched the bridge of her nose before looking up at Steve. "If this was your plan to get him to stop, it's not working." She looked to her right and saw Bruce grab Wanda and she hurried over to them.

"Go ahead," he threatened. "Piss me off." Just then, Thor walked in and he hit the cradle with a bolt of lightning making them cover their eyes. Adelaide blinked from the sudden brightness and watched as the body that was inside the cradle came to life. It launched itself at Thor who threw it at a window before it caught itself.

"I'm sorry," it said in JARVIS' voice and Adelaide furrowed her brow. "That was... odd." It looked at Thor. "Thank you."

"Thor, you helped create this?" Steve asked.

The God nodded. "I've had a vision," he replied while the entity looked at Thor and gave itself a cape of its own. "A whirlpool that sucks in all hope of life and at its center is that."

He pointed at the yellow gem inside of the entity's head. "What, the gem?" Adelaide asked.

"It's the Mind Stone," Thor said to her. "It's one of six Infinity Stones, the greatest power in the universe, unparalleled in its destructive capabilities."

"Then why would you bring it to—"

"Because Stark is right," Thor said, interrupting Steve making Bruce and Adelaide look at each other in surprise.

She shook her head. "Oh, the world is definitely ending..."

"The Avengers cannot defeat Ultron," Thor told them.

"Not alone," the entity added.

Adelaide furrowed her brows and stood next to Steve. "Why does your 'vision' thing sound like JARVIS?"

Tony cleared his throat. "We... reconfigured JARVIS' matrix to create something new," he replied and she rolled her eyes.

"Of course you did..." she muttered. "You know, I think I've had enough 'new' to last me a lifetime."

The entity looked at her. "You think I'm a child of Ultron?"

She shrugged. "I think you're a robot just like he is, created by the same man who made Ultron," she said, glancing at Tony. "How do we know you aren't?"

"I'm not Ultron," it said. "I'm not JARVIS. I am... I am..."

"For now, I'll call you Vision," Adelaide commented. "It's better than 'it'."

"I looked in your head and saw annihilation," Wanda said and Adelaide looked at her.

"Lovely..."

"Look again," Vision said to Wanda.

Clint scoffed. "Yeah. Her seal of approval means jack to me."

"Their powers," Thor said, gesturing to the twins. "The horrors in our heads, Ultron himself, they all came from the Mind Stone. And they're nothing compared to what it can unleash. But with it on our side..."