Twenty Four

Atticus

The Storm (Part One)

Everything went by in a blur; castle staff rushed to prepare for what could be another gruesome battle. I gripped my mate's hand, heart pounding. I still haven't recovered from the last fight, and from what I can assume is that each General is stronger than the previous.

Sera squeezed my hand back, reassuring me. "We are a lot stronger than before. We've been preparing for months. I was wondering how long the peace would last," Sera said, her gray eyes twinkling with pure determination. I smiled, kissing her mouth.

"Ever since that first battle all those months ago, you've been brighter and stronger, and I wouldn't trade you for anything," I said, brushing a stubborn strand of her magnificent white hair out of her face. When the full moon rose over the Junar Empire, a massive army of shadow Weaver knights marched towards the Sporefolk Kingdom.

Sera and I flew above the army, our wings beating steadily. The Sporefolk Kingdom was a few hundred miles from the Junar Empire, so we had plenty of rest stops. "So what kind of demon general do you think we'll face?" I ask, twirling my fingers through Sera's hair. Sera and I had some alone time in our tent.

"I don't know what to expect; we barely handled the last General. Hopefully, the Sporefolk hold out until we arrive." She replied, tracing circles on my chest. "I agree, with our armies combined, I'm feeling optimistic about our chances against our foe." I agreed.

~

Two Weeks Later.

The front gates to the Sporefolk Kingdom were utterly crushed, the metal that kept it together bent at awkward angles. As we walked farther in, half of the kingdom was practically reduced to ruin; chunks of rubble lay scattered about like leaves on a cool autumn day. Nothing could prepare us for what we saw next; bodies littered the battlefield, and the stench was almost unbearable.

"Atticus, what kind of demon did this?" Sera asked, her usually calm voice shaking. I looked at her and was surprised to see not fear making her voice shake but pure icy calm rage. Waves of light magic fell off her, charging the air around us with power.

I didn't blame her; I could barely keep it together myself. "I honestly have no idea, but when we find them, we'll make sure they pay dearly," I vowed, putting as much power and anger into my voice.

"It wasn't my fault, It wasn't my fault, It wasn't my fault!" A strange voice shouted to our left.
A woman with dark green hair and strange black and red eyes, dark veins spread from them like vicious spider webs. "Ma'am, are you alright? What happened here?" I asked, my hand close to my sword.

"It's not my fault!" She shouted again, this time in our direction. It was like she couldn't hear me.
Suddenly, she jumped at me; green and red magic glowed menacingly as a giant plant the size of a shadow bear appeared. It's form pulsing and pumping unnaturally. " What the hell is that thing!?" Sera asked as she shot into the air, her downy wings beating.

I joined her in the air to get as far away from that thing as possible. Unfortunately, the knights weren't as fast as a black and red tentacle shot out of the creature's body and sliced through several soldiers like a knife through butter, leaving dismembered gore in its deadly wake.

"Holy shit!" Sera cursed, her eyes wide with bewilderment. Just then, the strange woman plunged her hands into the ground, dark energy cracking as another gruesome creature joined the battle. This creature was different; its skin was stone gray, its eyes were as red as blood, and red wings sprouted from its deformed back.

"Sister!" I called from below, "Take the remaining knights with you farther into the kingdom. Sera and I will meet you there once we've handled things here." She looked like she was about to argue but thought better of it. Nodding, she barked orders and led the knights towards the mouth of the mountain.

The strange winged demon was locked in battle with Sera, sharp poisoned talons and golden steel clashed, sparks flying on impact-a tentacle shot at me from my position in the sky. I dodged; if that hit me, I'd be in pieces instantly. Infusing mana into my sword, I entered the first stage of Assimilation. Now, in my silver obsidian armor, I flew downward, coating my blade in shadow. As I dogged another tentacle, I slashed down, sending black and silver energy at the enemy, cleaving it in half. Its remains withered to dust, blowing away in the foggy atmosphere.

'Atticus! Come over here. I've realized something!' Sera shouted in my head. I winced; I must teach her how to speak through the bond. I thought as I rubbed my temples.

I walked over to her. "What is it? I asked. "I noticed that the strange dark energy was coming from her mind as if someone planted something there. I don't think she was attacking us. It seems like she's trapped in some nightmarish mindscape." That makes sense. It would explain the frantic muttering and the dark veins that spider-webbed its way from her eyes.

Sera had immobilized the woman in bright gold chains. "It wasn't my fault." The woman muttered for the millionth time. "We know, we know. I'll release you from this nightmare." She reassured the woman. Sera placed her palms on the women's temples. Silver and gold energy pulsed softly once, and the veins that covered the woman crumbled to the ground.

The woman's dark eyes turned a dark forest green as clarity broke through. "Wh-what did I do?" She asked. I didn't know who she was talking to, but I placed a hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry, this wasn't your fault; we have a small camp a few minutes away from the gate entrance. Walk in that direction until you see the Shadow Weaver flag. We promise to defeat whoever is responsible for this massacre and save anyone we can." I said, guiding her to the entrance.

Without looking at Sera, I summoned a black and silver portal before us. Shadows licked the air as if tasting it. Sera looked at it warily. I could tell she didn't want to go inside. "I'll take my shortcut." She said as she bathed her finger in golden light and made a circle. A shimmering portal opposite mine crackled in front of her. Jagged bolts of light energy whipped air, charging it.

'Show off.' I said in her head. She flashed me that mischievous grin and stepped through her portal. Shaking my head, I did the same.

I thought those creatures we faced only moments earlier were strong, but what we saw when we both stepped out of our portal was a monster that was the very essence of every fear I've ever felt in my 20 years of life.

"Oh? New playthings have arrived." It cackled, its voice both amusing and terrifying. "I was getting bored playing with weaklings like them."
It pointed, every bone in my body locked in place. My mana flared, matching my emotions. The demon held my sister's arm, wiggling it around as if it were the arm of a doll.

It smiled, its lips curling into an inhuman grin. Revealing rotten teeth and decaying gums. "I hope you're ready to feel true fear!" It shrieked, massive poison-tipped metal claws appearing on his blood-soaked talons.