Nineteen

Sera

                     Aftermath

Atticus and I stood at the front door to the throne room. My heart was thundering against my ribcage, threatening to break free. I don't know why I was nervous, to be honest. All we're doing is reporting the attack to the king and his royal court. I glanced at Atticus, studying the sharp lines of his jaw trying to ease my pounding heart.

Atticus noticed my stare and cracked his signature grin, a devious glint in his green eyes. I quickly turned away before I could say anything I'd regret. "If you're that nervous don't worry, my dad isn't that scary, and my mom wouldn't hurt a fly." He reassured me, a hint of amusement in his tone. I shook my head, clearing my head. Atticus was right, There was nothing to be nervous about.

As we stepped through the master ebony and silver door my jaw dropped at the utter beauty of the throne room. Fairylights adorned the crossbeams that held the ceiling together. A brilliant purple and silver chandelier hung from its center its countless shards of glass and stone glittering as the fairylights bounced off of them.

"Sera you can close your mouth now before something flies in it." Atticus's deep voice said snapping me back to reality. I closed my mouth as heat rushed to my cheeks in embarrassment. Atticus laughed, it was a boisterous one full of unbridled mirth. I lightly jabbed him in the ribs in false anger. "You don't have to laugh that hard you know," I said shooting him a half-hearted glare before breaking out into a grin of my own.

"Atty!" A bright and cheerful tone rang from the center of the room. I followed the voice and it came from an impossibly stunning woman with eyes as green as unrefined emerald ore and hair as black as onyx, with the occasional dark blue streak. Who looked shockingly like Atticus. As I put two and two together my mind reeled.

"How are you, honey? I haven't seen you since our little adventure in the you know what." She asked him. Her eyes were a mixture of worry and mischievousness. "You didn't hear about the attack Mother?" Atticus asked his tone serious and slightly panicked. They seemed to forget I was in the room so I made myself known by ruffling my feathers a little.

Atticus and his mom finally realized I'd been standing there. "Mom this is the last Lightbearer I told you about, her name is Sera." Atticus introduced me to a warmth that could only be pride lighting his emerald green eyes flecking it with hints of purple. I loved the way Atticus's eyes changed from emerald green to lavender purple or a mixture of the two, It was simply beautiful.

"Atty! She's gorgeous! Where'd you find this beautiful young lady anyway?" She asked, her eyes holding that same mischievous glint as Atticus on me and I blushed. Strong and bold men were my weakness, but strong bold, and beautiful women were something else entirely.

"Would you believe me if I told you the dark forest?" Atticus said, giving me a wink. "It's nice to meet you, mam. It looks like Atticus got his looks from you. I said smiling and giving Atticus a wink of my own. To my surprise, Atticus blushed. His green eyes turned a slight purple. Atticus's mother looked between the two of us, a devious light in her light green eyes.

"Oh dear, you don't have to be so formal, call me Angelica." She said, lightly batting me on the arm. "I didn't know you liked women Atticus. From the way you avoid courting balls." A deep and amusing tone sounded to our right as a devilishly handsome man half as tall as Atticus stepped into the room. His midnight black hair grayed at the edges and his purple eyes bored into me.

"Dad seriously, have more confidence in your son," Atticus said rolling his eyes. Dad? Wait that man is Atticus's father? "You know I'm just kidding, right? Of course, you have a me. You're my son after all. Now, let's get down to business." He said crossing his massive arms corded with pure muscle underneath his tight black tunic embroidered with the Shadow Weaver crest.

"Seriously Avon, first you come in here and objectify women to your son and don't even introduce yourself to our guest." Angelica scolded her husband. He looked at me sheepishly and bowed his head slightly. "My apologies young lady, My name is Avon Junar and I am the king of this wonderful empire. May I ask what is yours?" He said, grinning a little.

For a moment there I stood stock still I could feel everyone's eyes burning holes into me. "I am Sera Noel and the last Lightbearer in the history of Vale."

Avon nodded his head and began the meeting once he and his wife were seated on their thrones. Atticus explained the situation of how the attack started and I chimed in to fill in the gaps. "Noir, take your men to the scene of the attack and ward it off until I'm able to get the wall repaired, nothing else must be allowed to get in the kingdom," Avon called out.

Just then a man about 6,8 with black emotionless eyes and dark purple hair with flecks of white that resembled the night sky. Stepped out of the shadows, his dark gaze falling on me. "Yes your grace, as you command." He said, his voice as dark as his visage. Noir glared daggers at Atticus before stepping backward and disappearing into a pool of cold shadows.

I looked at Atticus questioningly before sarcastically asking, "Who's that mysterious ball of sunshine"? Atticus chucked a deep rumbling that lit a fire in my core. "That ray of sunshine is my mentor and trainer Noir Blackwell caption of the Black Knights, a royal army at my father's beck and call. He has a permanent glare plastered to his face. He's looked like that since I met him. Which was when I turned 12." Atticus replied, humor still lighting his emerald eyes. "He's harmless, just don't pry into his business and he'll leave you alone."

I nodded making a mental note to do the exact opposite. Mysterious people intrigued me. Mysterious people always have a story. It's the author in me that won't let people like that slip by. The meeting ended a few hours later so I'd headed to the mess hall to grab something to eat. Using that much prana in one day burns a shit ton of calories.