Five

Sera

The Lightbearer

That night I had a dream that I was in a floating castle high above the clouds. My dream self seemed to move on its own. It took me into the castle. Winding through the spires and swooping around the towers until eventually resting in what seemed to be a courtyard.

   "Hurry, bring her to the infirmary she's in critical condition, no lightbearer could expel that much celestial energy and survive." A soft female voice called out grasping my attention. What's a light bearer exactly? I pondered. My dream self decided to move in to get a closer look at the body. At first, I didn't recognize it but to my immediate horror, it was me!

I was different somehow. Like my usually short hair was extremely long and curly, it's usual silver a shining gold. My gray eyes were a shimmering silver and I looked at least 29 years old. Despite my older appearance from the looks of it I'm charred through as if I'd walked through roaring flames naked or something. There were these strange golden veins that sprouted from a star-shaped thing on my forehead. 

That's when I opened my eyes. Rubbing away the last remnants of sleep, I groggily walked toward the bathroom and threw cold water on my face. I looked in the mirror and saw the person who looked like me but older. Startled, I jumped back nearly falling into the tub. What the hell was that? Ever since that dream, I had I can't get the image of that person out of my head. I headed down to the mess hall for breakfast, as images of the strange dream flashed through my mind. I must've been lost in thought when I bumped into something hard and warm, the smell of rosewood and charcoal caught my nose.

"Whoa! Sera you ok?" Atticus's emerald eyes looked down at me with concern. I backed away from him, almost immediately regretting it. " I'm fine, just a rough morning is all," I responded, instinctively straightening my hair and shirt. Atticus looked a little different today. A little different from when I first met him. Instead of the black-scaled armor, he wore dark blue pants and a red tunic with gold bordering the edges.  "Oh ok, good morning, and be careful walking around the castle there are people here who aren't as nice as I am." He warned, his tone completely serious.

I nodded my thanks and continued towards the mess hall trying to get my life together. When I arrived I was greeted by a pretty maid in a white and blue dress. "Good morning milady, what would you like to eat this fine morning?" She asked me. I ordered my usual jam on toast and a glass of orange juice. Turns out they actually have orange juice in this world.

This world isn't as different from home as I thought. Three hours later Atticus summoned me for some strange reason. When I asked he said it was a surprise. We walked in a semi-awkward silence the sounds of both our steady breathing and synchronized footfalls were the only audible noises that echoed throughout the long corridor. We eventually came upon a massive green and black door with some sort of writing carved into the wood. Atticus ever the gentleman opened the door and gestured for me to enter.

Inside, it was dimly lit only by the many candles that adorned the purple and gold walls. The floor was a polished black tile. Probably made of a stone I've never seen before. "Ahem!" A stern-sounding voice snapped me out of my reverie. I looked to see where It came from and much to my surprise it was a short old woman with long graying brown hair. One of her eyes was silver and the other was a deep blue. I looked to Atticus. "This is our resident seer and magic detector. She can sense someone's aptitude for magic." He explained a faint smile tugging the corner of his lips.

As a fantasy writer, my mind was racing! I've heard about these kinds of characters in books.  "Ahem!" The woman said again, clearly impatient. "My name is Madam Lucile but most people call me Madam Lu. I will be examining you to see whether you have an aptitude for magic let the prince order." The woman-Madam Lu said, her voice surprisingly soft but extremely stern. "I'll be out here waiting until she's finished, don't worry I still remember my first time meeting Madam Lu. She's harmless." Atticus reassured me as he slowly stepped out the door.

I took a deep breath preparing myself for the worst. "Sit over here young one." She said, gesturing towards a small chair. I followed her instructions and sat down, my heart pounding so loud I was sure she could hear it. "I've never done this on an otherworlder before so we'll both be doing something new." She told me, a warm smile written across her aged features. This did calm my nerves a bit. We went through a bunch of strange exercises but the strangest one of them all was crystal ball read except the crystals changed colors and I could've sworn I heard voices.

"Place your right hand onto the scrying sphere, this exercise will determine what your magic affinity is. It also can reveal one's true nature." Madam Lu explained giving me a gentle smile.
I nodded my head and did as I was bid and placed my right hand onto the orb. There was a slight burning sensation on my forehead and a tingling sensation in my right hand which seemed to be glowing. Suddenly there was a flash of silver and gold and I seemed to be floating. As my consciousness began to fade I heard Madam Lu say the words from my strange dream. "A  half Lightbearer, I thought they were wiped out ages ago." That's when I faded into oblivion.