Twelve

Atticus

The Two Dark Tomes

As we made our descent down the spiraling staircase my mind was racing. 'What could be down here? Am I prepared for what I find? Or will I be afraid and cower?' Mother glanced at me and flashed a reassuring smile. It was like she could sense my unease.

I smiled back albeit it was a small one. "I know you have questions and doubts. But once you hear and see what I'm about to show and tell you hopefully that'll put those doubts to rest." She says giving me a wink. Mother has always been my best supporter especially when I came of age and father was a little harder on me.

I nodded. As we continued our descent the air became colder and our breaths became visible in the chilly atmosphere. "Why's it so damn cold down here?" I asked between breaths. The Shadow Weaver race is accustomed to the cold as our entire empire is in eternal midnight.

This cold was different, more malicious. I could feel it settling into my bones. I'd known we reached the bottom of the staircase when Mother stopped in front of me. "It's cold down here because that's the aura of the demon queen. Just saying her moniker is enough to summon said aura."

It was as if every book here held that bone-chilling aura. "How do you know it's her aura? Have you met her before?" I ask, my teeth slightly chattering. She nodded her face grim in the dim blue candlelight. "I was but a child. My mother and father had recently passed away and I lived with my grandparents. We lived in a small house close to the dark forest. At the time demons were just a story to tell children when they misbehaved."

She took a breath as she prepared to continue. "While my grandfather was out hunting for supper me and my grandmother was preparing the kitchen when we heard an eerie howling. The first thing that came to mind was my grandfather. He was out there alone with only a crossbow and his instincts. My grandmother used to be a huntswoman back in her day so she wasn't helpless in the slightest."

As she talked I saw her eyes cloud over with emotion. I placed a reassuring hand on her back. She smiled and continued her story.
"She told me to hide under the bed as she went to grab her sword Drapnir. I did as I was bid and went upstairs to my room and hid. 2 hours later and no sign of them. I was panicking at that point. I grabbed a moonstone lamp and followed the footprints of my grandmother and grandfather in the snow."

Mother had sat down on the last stair at this point. Head in her hands. I touched her shoulder, comforting her. "If this is too difficult to talk about then you don't have to," I said squeezing her shoulder softly. She smiled, " I'm alright just needed a breather." She replied standing back up. I nodded as we walked into the tomblike library.

We searched for what I assume was an hour. I had stumbled upon two books. Origins Of The Demon Queen, and The History Of The Twin Blades. I showed mother and we headed back up the winding staircase to read them with better lighting.

Wanting answers about the swords I chose to read the book titled The Lost History Of The Twin Blades and Mother chose to read the other one. I opened up the book and blew centuries old dust from the half torn pages. Turning to chapter one I began to read.