constellations

She clutched the keys tightly in her hand before shoving them into her pocket.

That's when she felt the knife still there.

Her heart felt a pang at the realization.

The blood, its stain on her fingers.

Not just any blood. His blood.

His pain. His suffering. Her fault.

The man or rather evil spirit before her just smiled cruelly, as if the truth of the matter was evident.

That she was just as bad as him.

She had hurt him. And despite it not being out of free will, she had still done it.

That wretched voice deep in the recesses of her mind had come to the forefront once again.

A blinding sharp pain vibrated through her head, causing her breaths to falter.

It was the most unimaginable torture she could experience.

And just as sharply, the pain vanished leaving her a mess. Unable to truly process whether what had happened was just in her head.

Was any of this real? Was she still stuck in her mind? She couldn't even remember.

"Oh, you poor thing." The man tsked, a fake pout on his face at her swirling thoughts.

"What do you want?" She whispered, unable to speak with the roughness of her throat.

"Power. Strength. Everything that one would want. After all, an evil spirit can only become more or become nothing." The man exclaimed as he bent closer to her.

She moved away immediately. The motion only made him smile wider.

"With me. What the fuck do you want with me?" She responded, as her anger seemed to take over the limp of her weakened body.

"You see, I wanted to make sure nothing or nobody stood in my way. Especially not any of you Counters. But I thought what better way to do that than to use one of you to my advantage." He stated as he leaned against the front desk.

Before she could process anything he was saying, she yanked out the knife from her pocket and went to slice his throat.

But it never made contact.

Her hand with the knife seemed to twitch in place as if the only thing stopping her was herself.

"Do Hana, for someone so incredibly smart, you can be very stupid." The man laughed, watching as the knife dropped to the ground with a crash.

She could feel the despair kick in. The truth that despite her desperate attempts to run away from what was happening, it was happening all the same.

It wasn't just the voice in her head. It wasn't her powers faltering. It wasn't the fact of the matter that she had to cut So Mun before she ended up killing him.

She wasn't her anymore. She wasn't a Counter. Or part of a family.

She wasn't Do Hana. She was something else entirely.

"It's you, right? The one in my head. The one controlling me." She responded, falling onto the couch next to her.

The man clicked his tongue before staring at the knife on the floor. He picked it up and stared at the blood still on it.

"You've held out for so long, Do Hana. Even when I tried to will you to kill him, you managed to scrape past. I'm sure all he sees is that you cut him with a knife. But for you, it seems like you saved him from yourself. So tragic." He stated as he fiddled with the knife.