Chapter 14

Austin

Jacobs' serious expression puts me on edge, and I sit back down, folding my arms.

"The last thing we need is another altercation. That being said, I'm well aware of your situation. Rosa, I need to know for sure you're going to follow through with your... obligations."

Rosa slams her hands down on the table, turning to me.

"Does everyone know?"

Shit! She is a little edgy.

"No, but Jacob has to know. What's the big deal, anyway?"

She mumbles, and I think I hear her say forget it.

"Austin you too, it's your business, and I don't want to push, but I haven't seen you go back to Faery since. We can't afford anymore complications... or gods forbid enemies. Especially a whole fraction."

"Yeah, I was going this weekend. Don't worry, I'll figure it out, and I promise it won't affect things here."

Jacob clasps his hands together, smiling.

"Good, great. I just had to clear that up. See you both later..."

I'm in a foul mood, Amanda has been going out of her way to avoid me. I heard her swift rejection to Rosa's assumptions earlier, and as much as I'd hate to admit it's a good part of what's got me so pissed. Not that I think of her as my girlfriend, but is the idea so distasteful? Last night at dinner, she switched chairs just to keep distance. She usually sits between me and Estevan but she moved across the table next to Tally. The only time she looks at me is when she thinks I'm not paying attention, but I'm always aware. Even now, as I'm laying out the Mats, I can feel her penetrating gaze. I get that she's not interested in more, hell I'm not, am I? No, I'm just bent out of shape over her blatant dismissal of me. We could at least be friends, I guess I'm not good enough. Well, fuck her! Damn it!... If she asked me to fuck her now, I would. Even as shitty as she treats me. How fucked up is that? That'd be the first. I've never done the same woman twice. It's an uncomfortable conundrum I push aside.

"So, what are we working on today?" She asks giving me a slight smile that seems to piss me off even more,

"Stealth and holds."

She nods, folding her arms, that's when I notice the extra care she's taken with her appearance. Her hair is pleated and wrapped in a fancy bun. It's clipped in place with a diamond pin. Her natural stiletto nails are painted pink, I think she's wearing mascara. Her leggings and sports bra are matching and tight. I shoot as straight as an arrow. Her curves are magnificent, I think of what it would feel like to have that luscious body pressed against mine, her soft to my hard. Whoa! that's a bizarre notion. The idea of a woman anywhere near my upper body or on top for that matter is appalling, frightening... I continue to safer thoughts. She usually comes wearing a logo t-shirt, black leggings and her hair in a ponytail. Why the added effort?

"Should I warm up first?"

I stop accessing her and get straight to the point. Her movements are stiff and she is abnormally silent. We spend more time fumbling and me repeating myself than she does learning. When I can't withstand the awkward uncertainty, she finally speaks.

"What is your problem?"

The question stuns me. She stands there with her hands on her hips, catching her breath.

"Me? Your asking me what my problem is? Oh, that's rich! I'm not the one going out of my way avoiding you." I grab my shirt and throw it over my head, I'm done here. It rips and I hear a snicker that turns into a full out laugh. My face heats and I turn, giving her a vicious look when leaving the room. I hear her call after me and I ignore it. In a few hours, we'll be on a mission and I'll have to stay focused. Damn near impossible around her...