Chapter 1

Amanda

I don't want to see anyone, Katie included. Now that John's dead, I have nothing to survive on. Where am I going to get ambrosia? I'm not even completely sure what it is. Can I make it?Oh God, I'm too weak, and the stomach pains are getting worse. I avoid looking at myself. The way my skin changes scares the crap out of me. I'm happy John is gone, but now I have no idea how to survive... I have a terrifying thought, maybe I shouldn't. It could be a sign to give up. If my parents weren't around, I probably would. It's not like Katie's alone anymore. Would my mom and dad miss me that much? It doesn't matter. I can't go on like this. Another day or two, and I'm dead, whether I wish it or not.

"Argh God!"

Another spasm of pain tears across my abdomen, and I keel over, gripping the comforter as my vision goes black. sucking in a deep breath, I open my eyes to see stars wink in my vision. It has to stop! I'd do anything to make it stop. "Please God, make it stop!"

Getting up on shaky legs, I make my way to the fridge in desperation. It's empty. Of course. my parents have been here and cleaned. A quick look in the cupboards confirms my assumptions. Nothing appeals to me, and I can't eat food, anyway. If I had to go through puking anything up at this point. I think that would be the end of me. I scan the cupboard again out of desperation, and my eyes catch on the small bottle of honey. The thought of the sweet liquid sliding down my throat causes me to moan. I push the tea boxes aside and crack open the little bear shaped tube, sucking at the sweet substance. It easily glides down, filling my empty stomach. The queasiness and aches subside, but I'm still not sated. I suck the bottle dry, my eyes roll with satisfaction, and some of my color comes back along with the bright patches and scales. They throb in sync with the beat of my heart. I cringe at the abnormality. It sucks being uncomfortable in your own skin. Not knowing your body in the middle of your life really messes with your head.

My phone rings, and I look at the screen, and guilt washes over me. It's my mom again. That's the fifth time she's called. I'm not ready to see them. When Katie dropped me off, they were already here and waiting. My condition had them both in tears. Seeing me like this would crush them, not to mention terrifying them, and I'd be kept in the hospital. I look worse, much worse than yesterday. Even if the doctors could find a way to help me, and that's a big if, by the time they did, it would be too late. I already feel a slight ache spreading in my lower belly. Maybe I need to be drugged or something. to get rest. In captivity, the only time I could sleep was under that shot John gave me. Honey! I need more honey! maybe even fruit or some edible flowers? I remember John fed me that once, and I managed to keep it down.

I make my way to my dresser, feeling light on my feet, I'm slowly moving but not by choice. When I grab a pair of jeans and slip them on and they fall off immediately. How much weight have I lost? I've always wanted to lose a few extra pounds, but not this much. I let out a nervous laugh. There's no way im going to die like this, definitely not by starvation. Ruffling through the drawers, I find my sweats with the drawstring and nervously pull them up, tying the strings as tight as I can. They bunch and puff out at the sides. The get-up looks ridiculous, but what do I care. I reach for my bra next, my mouth forms on a wide oh, it won't fit, how is that possible? I've lost so much weight my jeans won't stay up, but my breasts are bigger?

A frightening thought runs through my mind, and I run to the mirror looking for any surgery scars. Big mistake! I stare at my reflection. Not even recognizing myself. My ribs are showing, and my cheekbones sunken in. I look frighteningly gaunt. The bright abnormal array of colors on my skin seems to surge like a neon sign, and somehow, my breasts are larger, about two sizes more. The areolas darker, but I find no abnormal markings. Nothing to prove they've been altered. I'm bewildered by the development. In such a short amount of time, my body has transformed into a shell of my former self. My surface matching my mind. I laugh hysterically at the entendre. all the while. My stomach quivers and the pain spreads to my pelvis. I grip the sink to keep from falling as the sharp aches threaten to buckle my knees. With no time to waste, I throw a sweater on and make my way to the store, I'll eat the whole damn fruit stand if I have to.