Chapter 10

Austin

The trek is uneventful but eerie. I hear and see unimaginable things, that's saying a lot coming from me. There's not much I haven't seen. Double-headed razor-sharp toothed giant scorpions are new to me. At first, I thought it was a tree stump in the dim light, then it moved. The big guy told us not to fear the creatures because he has some kind of agreement or arrangement. I don't know about Rosa, but it didn't make me feel any safer. I could only imagine what she's thinking. I got to hand it to her. She's one tough cookie. The cavalry takes off single file and the giant steps off his horse. We have arrived, and it's like stepping back in time. A mother fuckin castle with slots for windows and rushes on the floors. He leads us to a long stone table with benches.

"Sit, I will start a fire."

He wills a flame and my eyes narrow suspiciously. Doing things at will? Not exactly a fae trait, but then again, he's dark fae. I'm put In my place once more, reminding myself not to get cocky. There's a number of things I don't know about them and what I think I know could be wrong.

The other riders start to flow in and Rosa slides closer to me. The giant, glares his disapproval. A myriad of pixies fly in carrying trays of food. Roasted pig and turnips, loaves of bread and a plate of small papayas. The spread is better than I expected. Rumors paint them as savages hunting down food just to tear it apart and eat on sight, sleeping on the earth in the blood of their prey. The pixies dart away and he dishes out fractions. I'm not a big fan of the fare, but I know better than to reject an offering.His attention never strays far from Rosa I watch him frown when he sees her turn her nose up at the food.

"What's wrong, don't you like pig?" He asks her with a deep frown. I watch him look at the pig and back to Rosa. Rosa and the pig. Oh shit, he looks pissed. I kick Rosa under the table.

"I'm a vegetarian." She says giving my a sideways glare. The poor shmuck looks to me in answer,

"She doesn't eat meat." I tell him with a shrug and roll my eyes. He looks astounded but accepts without argument. He picks up her plate and scrapes the meat onto his. He then takes his turnips and places them on her dish, returning it to her. Rosa mumbles a thank you and takes a nibble. This seems to please him, and he eats with vigor. When the meal is done, he dismisses the foot soldiers and pixies bring mead. It's been so long since I've tasted it, I almost forget its relaxing effect. I slow my pace and set down the sweet liquid.

"I am called Wrath, and what is your name, sweet?"

I look over at Rosa and kick her foot again. She's glares at me and mumbles her name without even looking at him. I don't think she understands the situation we're in. I broke the oath. He has every right to end us both, and she hasn't shown him an ounce of respect.

He looks to me with a sneer, "and you are Rusalka the ravager."

Then what now? So that's what my reputation has come to. He's obviously as unimpressed as me. "Actually, it's Austin" I clarify. He ignores my remark and fills his cup up.

"I am willing to strike a deal of sorts. That is how the mortals say it?"

I nod in agreement my muscles are tensed I can only imagine the deal he wants to strike.

"She will wear my cuff and never take it off. I will allow her a month to adjust to her new attributes. After that she will visit me here for a minimum of four hours a week! To learn our ways and become familiar with our land and traditions."

He's looking at her with a fuck load of interest and as much as I want to go home, I'm reluctant to agree. I can't tell what Rosa thinks about this because her head is still down and she's as still as ever. Wrath turns to me

Taming Amanda (Book 1) Jacob's Broken Mercenaries जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें