Chapter 2

Austin

"What do you mean, unlisted?"

That dilly wag gave us a fake name, I should have guessed. Trustworthy people don't go around killing people, ethics one-oh-one, no? Take me, for example, if I had a Nickle for every life I've snuffed out, well let's just say I wouldn't be working for Jacob. Na, I still would. I love my job, current mission aside.

"Don't worry about it, just get Jacob to call me back."

What is that smell? I knew I should have sprung for a better motel. It stinks like foot fungus in here. Thank the gods I'm immune to human ailments. I cringe, looking around and discovering the curtains are an outdated mauve with red and yellow roses. The once thick blackout fabric is now covered in a layer of brown dust, making them appear grey as spots of sun peek through. The bedding is the same design but faded and tattered on the edges. Even the television is a joke. It's an old school tube in black and white. Although it's the perfect area to create a broke traveler's persona, not to mention a central location to the recruits but shit, I can't wait to leave.

I've always had a sixth sense for the criminal element that's what made me instantly qualified to work for Jacob, but this mission twisted me in ways I thought were behind me. I've been powerless before. There's nothing new there. To be attempted to be used that way dredged up a past that has long since been buried. I grind my teeth at the memory. It was easy enough to glamor the porker, just one of my many abilities. He thought he was raping me. He saw, felt, and heard it, but all the while, I was actually in the next room getting samples of the multiple serums John had concocted. I recoil at the thought of Amanda thinking that of me, but it doesn't matter because she's off limits.

I work for the NGSA, National Gifted Service Association, and I wasn't picked for this mission because I drew the short straw. Nope, I'm the deadly decoy. All innocent and approachable, but behind the mask I'm a natural born weapon. It was my mission to be taken so I can enlist the miscreates and gain intel on the undisclosed association. Mission accomplished, except for one thing or person I should say. I can't track down the big one that killed John. I can't keep my mind off Amanda either. Shit! I shouldn't be thinking about her and not because of the mission, She's not for me. I'm not fit for anyone, and I can't make relationships work. Ever. Especially with sweet doe eyed girls. When I fuck, it's rough and always from behind. I Don't do face to face and I've never kissed a woman. I highly doubt a sweet timid soul like Amanda would be interested in any kinky fuckery from a man like me, damaged and dark. I already lied to her in the first conversation we had, pretending my glowing skin was part of Johns concoction and not one of my natural given qualities. Closing my eyes, I clear my head.

Besides, she's off limits once she becomes a member of the NGSA. That's Jacob's first rule: don't fuck where you eat. Followed by, don't shit where you eat. I've already broken a rule, a big one. I gave her my actual name. I don't know what goaded me to make such a stupid decision, it's not my first rodeo. Hearing my name on her lips was so worth it! Then I had to tell everyone else, so I didn't blow my cover, fuck. Jacob would put me on research with Tally, and I'd have to listen to her whine all day about her inability to shift form or how her favorite show isn't going the way she thinks it should all while trying to seem busy to avoid her moon eyes. I better leave that tidbit out when I meet with Jacob...

Walking into the complex I spot Jacob at the computer with Tally. She's preening, probably over some compliment Jacob spews forth to keep her happy. Jacob has been like a father to Tally since the wee age of thirteen, after her parents disowned her. She set fire to her school and was facing charges until Jacob intervened. She's been a pain in my ass ever since, got some ridiculous crush on me. I tried to discourage her for years, but the more I try, the more inventive she gets.