Chapter 13

Amanda

I sit on a bench in a secret room in the basement. It's cold in here, and the air is stale. It's like a bare minimum mini suite. There's a small toilet and sink around the corner. Cots are lined up at the far east wall. There's a mini fridge and hot plate in the area behind me. To the side there are cupboards, a desk with a computer and a small flat screen.

Rosa paces the floor a slight trace of darkened veins line her skin. Tally is in the corner hugging her knees. She looks terrified. I get up, walking over to her and wrap my arms around her. I'm relieved when she leans in, accepting my embrace.

"It's going to be ok." I tell her,

"you don't know that!"

I snap my head to Rosa, giving her a shut the hell up look.

"What? It's true, you have no idea what happened, just like the rest of us. Coddling her won't do her any good."

What the hell is her problem?

"We've always been safe here. Nothing like this has ever happened."

Tally's pleading voice guts me, I hug her tighter at a loss for words, thanks to Rosa. I shoot her another glare over Tally's head, and she rolls her eyes, continuing her steady pacing.

"I'm sorry. I've been so bitchy."

I pull back, looking down at Tally. Her tears break my heart. I give her a small smile,

"You're forgiven. "

She beams at me, and I chuckle. Rosa lets out an annoyed sigh and my patience wears exceedingly thin.

"you guys don't know the first thing about problems."

Okay, that's it! I've had enough I stand up facing her,

"Like you're the only one with problems?"

She balls her fists pushing forward, her veins darkening ,

"oh boohoo, she's mooning after your boyfriend and you need to have sex to survive like the rest of the female population. Yeah, real colossal problems there."

"He's not my boyfriend." I growl.

She laughs, nodding her head; I don't know why I clarified that point? I think I just wanted to yell at her.

"Awe, did he reject you? Is that why your so sad?"

She pouts and drags a finger down her cheek to mimic a tear falling. I haul back my fist. Just as I'm about to connect, it comes to a dead halt. Austin stands over me, holding my fist back. He looks surprised and agitated all at once,

"Stop this! Both of you. Whatever it's about, is not important... were safe now and Jacob needs us in the library, let's go!"

I yank my fist away, leaving before my anger turns to hurt and I do something stupid like cry. I think the reason it got me so mad is that I may have feelings for Austin and I do think he would reject them. I picture last night, a few points during I caught the disgusted, almost painful look on his face... and when he pushed me off of him. My cheeks heat with embarrassment. God, I was such a horndog. I'd be disgusted by me too. He probably said all those nice things just to keep me in the mood, doing his part to keep me alive.

Jacob shows up not long after and deals with the commotion. We're all gathered in the library and the room is silent. When Jacob walks in, I see his expression. I know the news is going to be grim.