After the tailor's visit, mom took us Christmas shopping, adding new clothes and shoes to my wardrobe. As if I didn't already have enough. She then took my sister and I to see a movie before we went home.

"Are you sure you're not coming?" I nodded to Buchi. "What happened the last time you went there?"

"My so-called best friend almost killed me, that's what." I had not told Buchi the details of what happened. He might get himself into trouble with Eben. "I don't wanna go. There's nothing to do there anyway."

"Old classmates? At least say hi. Chioma m, come nu."

"Not staying past ten." He broke into a smile. "You love me. Come on say it." I teased. He pounced on me.

"I love you. If I don't love you, who can I love?" he pulled me on top of him and I rolled my eyes.

"I want to get dressed."

"Was it because of Tiana? He hurt you because of her or was it something else?" I told Buchi everything, starting from the time Eben threw me out his car. Buchi was looking at me like he didn't know me anymore, like I had grown a horn between my eyes.

"And I thought I knew you. Jesus. Remind me to never get on your bad side. You're this evil?"

"Evil?"

"You got dirt and leaked them. The whole world will see Tiana as some cheap sex-crazed girl—"

"Which she is."

"—because of you. That's wicked, man." I climbed off him and sat on my bed. The third person to say that. Was I such a bad person? "And Ebenezer knew it was you." I nodded. "So he tried to kill you. The bastard! We will chat today."

"Don't go looking for trouble." Buchi wrapped his hands around my shoulder.

"I won't, but are you really okay, Chioma?"

"I think he hates me." Buchi chuckled.

"No, sweetheart. I think he's  frustrated."

*** 

Rhema's hug could break me. He kept muttering things while he held me, while I counted the seconds till Buchi snapped. "God I've missed you." "You're so beautiful." "How have you been?" "Did you lose weight?"

"Oya, guy, enough." I was pulled away from him.

"Jordan, come on."

"Respect yourself," he cautioned. "Where's Ebenezer?"

"Upstairs, with you know who." I tightened my grip on my phone which I was holding. I looked up to know if I'd see him hanging around the railing. He was, staring at me with a smirk on his face. And standing beside him was the whore. They were both looking at me and speaking. Tiana chose that moment to peck his lips. How Ebenezer could still be with someone like her was a shocker. I looked away before they could continue their disgusting act.

"Chioma, have fun. Don't leave this house." Buchi kissed my cheek and left with Rhema who seemed reluctant to leave. I went to get a drink. I managed to avoid former classmates and their questions about life abroad.

"Alcohol, miss?" I smiled at the bartender while considering his offer. I had never tried it before, and considering how sour my mood was, it didn't seem so bad. I nodded. "Which one? Any preferences?" I was lost.

"Give me anything." I watched in awe as this guy kept mixing and shaking and adding. I did not question him about the concoction I was given. The smell was strong but... I tasted it with the tip of my tongue. "Not bad." He smiled at me. "What I what did you put here? All the shaking and mixing and—" Out of the corner of my eye I saw him approach. I swallowed half the tumbler. "Aish!" My head spun as I emptied the glass. "Refill?" The bartender did not hesitate. "Thank you."