||10||

Dedicated to Amazing Grace, a friend and former classmate. Happy birthday, dear.❤

"Eben..." I drawled. I could feel his heated stare. I saw him walk towards me and I stepped back. Fear? I had never been afraid of him. Was it me or was it his aura?

"What's this?" He asked.

"Nothing."

"You're lying to me, again?" Eben was scary.  I was afraid. He paused in his steps before turning to walk out of the classroom. The whispers intensified. I stared at the crumpled paper on the ground. 

"Fuck!" I swore loudly. I could feel tears coming but I held them back. I wanted to get to the root of this.

~
The whispers and gazes were becoming annoying. It was worse because they were even heard in my sleep. Those mocking gazes,  Eben's fierce eyes. I'm innocent. 

"Chioma, just ignore them. I'll find out who did this and we'll clear your name," Buchi said holding my hand. He found out the previous day what was going on. 

"I don't want anyone to know."

"Shh, they won't know. But do you know who could-" Buchi's words were interrupted by the chiming of phones. I brought out mine. It was an update from the school's gossip forum.

All That Glitters Really Isn't Gold

Everyone knows the acting Head Girl of Pearl International High, Igbokwe Chukwuoma Vivian. Being one of the top students since she enrolled. Apart from being the Head Girl,  she's also captain of the female track team and debate team.

Uprightness, honesty, and straightforwardness are her qualities. She hasn't even been in any relationship though she is surrounded by the most handsome male species in the school. One would say Chioma has the beauty and brains. After my survey, most of the males have described her as a goddess while the females see her as a rival.

But as of yesterday, photographs were seen in every classroom.

[j.peg]

[j.peg]

The setting can be recognised as the gym room. The girl in the photo is obviously Chioma, our goddess, at a younger age. There is no need for explaining what is going on seeing the compromising position the two are in. But we ask questions.

Is Chioma really the girl we see her as? Our pure goddess? Or is she a sl*t behind closed doors? It seems like we do not know her well.

That all that glitter isn't gold...

The article ended. My eyes reddened. I clenched my fists. Only one person I knew could write this article.  Only one person had the liberty of uploading articles on this forum. Bisola... No one else handled the gossip forum. 

How did she get the pictures? The only ones aware were my family. No one else. How did she know? And she even twisted the story. Did she hate me so much that she wanted my reputation ruined? We needed to talk.

"Chioma." I heard Buchi call as I ran to Bisola's classroom.  I barged in. No lessons, luckily.

"Well well, if it isn't our Virgin Mary." Someone said. Bisola wasn't in the classroom.