||6||

~•Chioma•~

"Bring out your exercise books. We're having a test right after reviewing this topic," the Further Maths teacher said and the students groaned. Further Maths. This subject was one of the reasons I was stuck in the third position every term.

Maths was an easy subject for me, but not Further Maths. I was good at it but not extremely good at it, unlike Buchi and Eben who knew every Commercial, Arts and Science subject like the back of their hands. They had amazing grades, either coming first or second while I was stuck in-

"Question one." I missed the review? Wasn't it too short?

***

"Chioma, how are you doing?" Eben asked as we walked to the cafeteria. It was lunch break.

"I'm fine. I'm always fine." I ordered my food and his. Pearl International High School provided lunches. We did not need to pay for the food as all expenses were in the school fees. The only thing one needed to pay for was snacks if one wanted that instead of food.

We walked outside to the Peace Park where we usually sat. This place was known as the Garden of Peace, but it was too large to be a garden. I named it Peace Park.

We sat under the tree in the centre of the park. We ate in silence. I noticed Eben's gaze on me. He always did this. "Is there something on my face?" I asked after eating.

"No." He shook his head.

"Then, why do you stare at me?" He smiled.

"Can't I stare at my best friend?" He tapped my nose lightly. I hit his arm before getting up from where I sat. I wanted to leave but he pulled me back. I looked through his glasses, into his light brown eyes. They looked conflicted. Did anything happen? "Chioma, I..."

"Ebenezer, Chioma." I heard my name. I turned around and my face morphed into a smile seeing who called me.

"Senior Davis," I called and waved. He smiled at me and patted my hair.

"I haven't seen you in a while. I've missed you," he said. I'm sure my ears were red from embarrassment.

Senior Davis was my guardian and a senior in SS3. He was the former Head Boy before he passed his position to his assistant/cousin Ebenezer. Another thing is that he was my...crush. I had a crush on him.

We met when I was in JSS2. He was in JSS3. I was in the library learning how to construct angles. I wasn't getting my construction as the angles were different. I think he was sitting at the table beside mine. "Let me teach you." Those were the words he said. He thought me how to construct them.

Then another when I was in trouble with one of his classmates, he settled our dispute and accepted me as his ward. I was attracted to his kindness and intelligence. It was only a crush though, and he was taken already.

"I missed you too," I said and he laughed.

"Miss me well. Because you won't be seeing me again after these exams." That was true. They were writing their WASSCE and after it, they'll start preparing for graduation. "Even you Ebenezer."

"I won't miss you," Eben mumbled. What was wrong with him?

"Well, I have to go. Lessons begin soon." He patted my hair again. "Good luck, little cousin. I hope you get what you want." He walked away.

"He's such a nice guy..." I whispered. I heard a scoff. I turned to Eben. "So what are you looking for? And what did you want to tell me?"

"Nothing, it's nothing." We walked back to the building.

***
~•Eben•~

I kept staring at her face. I just wished I could tell her how I felt. I lacked the courage. I wished I could tell her how she made my heart beat when I was around her, how I've loved her since I knew what a crush was- ten. It was almost eight years. I wanted to capture those lips with mine and show her how I felt.

We grew up together. Jordan, Chioma, and I, with Felix, our childhood friend whom I haven't seen for long. I was closer to Chioma than I was to any of them. Those boys were mischievous. Felix always said stupid things while Jordan and I were more like frenemies. We were always competing in everything. Also, Jordan loved to prank me and his sister.

But Chioma was nice. She was always keeping him in check but was ready to support him if he found himself in trouble. She was a good friend to me, always ready to listen. I found myself being drawn to her. She was my first crush, but what I feel is more than a crush. I love her.

Chioma didn't see me that way. I was HER best friend, someone she could tell anything to. That title hurt a lot, especially when she tells me of her many crushes. But I accepted it since it meant being close to her.

"Is there something on my face?" She asked. I shook my head.

"No."

"Then why do you stare at me?" I tapped her nose lightly.

"Can't I stare at my best friend?" She hit my arm playfully before trying to walk away. I pulled her back towards me. Our eyes met. I wanted to pour out everything, my feelings. "Chioma, I-" I wanted to confess.

What if she rejects me? What if our friendship crumbles because of my feelings?

I didn't want to risk that. But what if she accepts-

"Chioma, Ebenezer." I frowned at the interruption. Chioma turned and her face brightened. I glared at the guy who walked towards us, my cousin Davis. He was the former Head Boy before he gave his position to me.

He had wanted to give it to me, but his female counterpart wanted to give the head girl position to another girl. I threatened that if that position wasn't given to Chioma, I would reject the position. He convinced the Head Girl and she gave it to her, in a way disappointing her assistant. I didn't care.

"Senior Davis," Chioma said and he patted her head. I glared at those hands.

"I haven't seen you in a while. I've missed you." Chioma's ears reddened making me clench my fist.

Her crush was talking to her. She had a crush on Davis since SS1. He was like her dream guy. Caring, handsome, level-headed, intelligent... I disliked it when she spoke about him. Worse was the fact that he was her guardian. That meant a bit of closeness.

"I missed you too." She said and he laughed.

"Miss me well. Because you won't be seeing me again after these exams." Yes. Good news. After his WASSCE, he wouldn't be her guardian any more. He would leave. Her crush would leave. I may have a chance then. "Even you Ebenezer."

I looked at him in disdain. Who would miss this one? "I won't miss you," I mumbled. Let him leave so Chioma will be with me.

I felt glad when he said he had to go because of lessons. "Good luck little cousin. I hope you get what you want." He smiled at me while gesturing to Chioma. That was the only good thing he had said since he came. I was grateful for his words.

"He's such a nice guy..." Chioma said dreamily watching his leaving back. I scoffed. I was here. She could choose me and forget about those other guys.

--------

Writing is not easy at all, especially when you have lazy spells like me. I was too lazy to rewrite what I had already written. But thank God I finished chapter 6.

I'm making edits to this book. Those who read the manuscript will notice that this isn't where this chapter ended. I shortened it.

I hope you liked it. Don't forget to vote and comment. *narrows eyes at a particular someone*

I know you'll read this. This chapter is also dedicated to her. I love you B ❤️, @Coderwrites017