Chapter XLIV - "I promise."

"Anything you would like to discuss with me?"

Is this my act of desperation? I know if I can't tell my dilemma to someone, the voice in my head won't stop. I can't tell Molly and I certainly can't tell Ollie either. Innes is a no-brainer.

Who would know better than our school guidance counselor?

I rub my palms together, quite stiff. "Do you ever, uh, zone out? And when you wake up you don't remember anything at all?"

"Oh, Steph," Ms. Lidra softened her tone in a way that made me feel like a child. "Is there a problem?"

Uneasy, I looked around her chilly, white office. She was sitting in front of me on a navy sofa, eyes fixed. This feels wrong. "I-I keep on, uhm . . . randomly gaining consciousness. And I wake up out of nowhere."

"Have you been getting enough sleep?"

"I think."

"This is a safe space, don't hesitate to tell everything off your chest."

" . . . It's really weird. And after I wake up, I can't remember anything. Or I just completely lose my senses!"

"Okay," She bobs her head and takes a deep breath. "If you are comfortable with it, is there a chance you could share an instance?"

This caught me off guard, hesitant. But I went to her. I must've expected this. "Please don't report this or anything but . . . I was trying to catch this guy and, uhm, I guess I was a bit rough on him. W-without meaning it, of course!"

Thankfully, she didn't react like I expected her to. Mad. "What sparked the incident?"

"I . . . can't really share it." I can't risk it. "But it's like I just blacked out for a moment and the next thing I know, I'm doing something I didn't want to."

She opened her mouth to speak, but words swirled over her, and a confused silence followed.

A chill froze me in spot. My mind flashed every worst-case scenario. She might report me. Let alone question me. "Wait! I swear it wasn't bad!"

"It's okay, I understand. I think the best possible solution is to clear things up with that person. Maybe explain your side or apologize. Anyway you want."

A pulse roared deep in my throat. Naomi isn't the problem! It's my memory dilemma! Desperation was written all over my face. "But how do I get rid of my zoning out problem?!?"

"The best way to control these emotions is to find the root, Steph." She gave a soothing smile. "If making ties with this person doesn't work, I'm always free to talk."

***

Walking out of her office was a strange feeling. A gut told me going to her was completely useless. Another told me it's better that you got it off your chest. And one looming one told me I should just apologize to Naomi.

Then, as if an angel came upon me, I saw Ollie. At the end of the hall, bouncing on his heels and impatiently looking around.

I felt my worries float off my shoulders. Just his presence filled my chest with joy.

"Ollie," As I ran to him, he caught my gaze. His face lit up. A soft, relieved sigh slipped through his lips.

The instant I reached him, I felt his hands take mine.

"There you are!" His eyes twinkled with mischief, a cheeky expression of love. "I've been looking everywhere."

I tried to ignore my heart hammering and glowered with guilt. "I'm sorry I disappeared a while ago."

"Yeah, don't worry too much. Professor Blair didn't mind. I did."

My voice hushed. "Is there any way I can make it up to you?"

A shy, playful grin he did as he held my hand tighter and started striding towards the dorm wing, dragging me along. "I think you owe me an apology, Stephan."

"I will apologize until—"

"Until it's engraved in my head?"

" . . . Yeah."

***

Some time passed by and we were still together. It was probably six by then. You know, in the hardest of moments, just thinking of Ollie makes me forget everything else.

"Hey," Ollie turned to his side, leaning on his bed next to me. "What happened a while ago? I was worried horribly when I realized you weren't with the group."

"Uhh . . . I was called by Ms. Lidra to her office."

He gave me a look. An 'I know that isn't true' type of look. "Really now?"

"There were some things . . . she wanted to talk about."

"Such as?"

Be honest, be honest, be honest. "The Hazard attacks."

"Oh." A shadow casts over his face. "Those attacks make me sick."

"It does for everybody."

"I don't know why the bitch who's responsible hasn't been caught yet."

I heard the crackle of despise in his voice. I knew he hated all of this crime. Who wouldn't? But this school isn't acting like it. I guess you could say we just . . . pray behind closed doors.

He crosses his arms and scowls, looking away. "I don't even care who it is anymore. I just want to feel safe again."

I gently tip his chin to me. "The Hazard is gonna be caught. It's just a matter of time."

In a loss of words, Ollie sighs and leans on my shoulder. "How much time?"

" . . . " I don't know.

But I'll find a way, Ollie. I'll make sure you and I are safe.

I promise.