Chapter XXXII - "My hair?"

This is it. This is the day I've been dreading. The day I'd confess to Ollie Blossom.

I bike through the afternoon sunset of London, heart hammering and fingers numb. After I left my bike on the road that time I almost got attacked, the Blossoms went back for it. This is yet another reason to miss our friendship. If this love confession goes as bad as I imagined, our relationship is over.

Aaagh! I'm screwed!

"No! I'm not screwed." I angrily huff at myself, my bike strolling faster. "You've got this!"

I'm wearing my prom outfit just as Ollie preferred it. Milk brown blazer and trousers, an unbuttoned white shirt, a belt I've owned since I was a junior, and a chocolate tie lazily rested at the sides of my neck.

I feel like I'm going to explode! I'm as nervous as a child and as scared as a mouse!

I peddle on my bike faster as I look around, watching out for danger.

I strode by Innes' gloomy apartment building, the exact spot I used to pass The Alexeevs before going to school. I miss that. Back when I felt like they both saw me as a trusted friend.

But no, today is today and I'm not going to waste it dwelling on the past . . . or foreboding on the future.

I can do this!

By the time I reach The Blossom's house, which for a fact is huge, I chained my bike and walked up to the door. I've got this. Don't act weird.

I slowly press the doorbell, hands sweaty and feet swinging side to side. Pleasepleasepleaseplease—

I hear loud and fast footsteps from inside and . . . Ollie opens the door. That handsome face of his.

"Hi." He pants, almost wheezing out of breath.

"Hi." I say in a gasp, absolutely terrified. But I was so lovestruck.

A wide, excited smile stretches across his face, threatening to let out a squeal.

I begin blushing.

No! Not again!

But could I help it? He was wearing the classic tuxedo with his hair waxed in such an elegant manner. And he was wearing the blazer I chose. He was so captivating.

"U-uhm," I stammer my words and forgot how to speak. Just the sight of him was a blessing. "You look . . . so handsome."

A delicate hue of pink clouds wipes across his cheeks. His smile grows wider. "Thank you. And you look . . . " He grows redder. "Great."

I could stare at him for hours and cease to get bored. I could study his features like a book and just . . . sigh. Ollie's everything. What am I? I'm just his best friend.

I don't want to keep my love bottled up but I can't lose this friendship. So for now, I'll just admire.

"Come in." He giddily leads me inside. We head for Molly's room while I steal a few glances of him.

He opened Molly's door and at that exact moment, ABBA blasted in my ears.

Molly saw me and stopped singing to Dancing Queen. "Heyyy!" She waved while curling Innes' hair.

I smiled as she excitedly brushed and moused Innes' hair, giggling. This is what high school is supposed to be like. No attacks, no police, no blood. None of those adult problems. Just bliss.

And oh wow was Innes going through a real makeover. I've never seen her with such makeup. Her eyes were blended with black and purple eyeshadow as her hollow cheekbones were blushed violet. Her black cami dress creased from its silk as she turned around to see me. "Oh, hi."