Chapter XII - The Hanged Man

Innes has been very unresponsive online since her last fight with Luka. Molly found her in the bathroom crying. And to be honest . . . I kinda feel bad for her.

I look around my orange room, the newly set paint leaving a sour alcohol scent behind. I spot my burner phone laying on my wooden desk, waiting to be used.

I walk over and hold it in my hands.

I could talk to Ollie whenever I want.

Just the thought of that made me smile. I guess this means Molly could no longer eavesdrop on our calls anymore.

My stomach dropped when the phone started to ring. It vibrated in my hands as I almost dropped it. I stared at it before fumbling to answer.

"H-hello?" I almost cringed at the way I said it. But I cannot tell you how much my heart flustered.

'Stephan!' Ollie beamed through the hotline. 'How are you?'

I softly smiled, my cheeks leaving a pleasant burn. "Great. How about you?"

'Curious.'

Curious? I tilted my head and sat down on my bed. "About what?"

'You.' I could basically see him smiling through his words, pacing around his room. 'Who are you going as? For Halloween, I mean.'

I thought for a moment. "Uhm . . . A werewolf, I guess."

He giggled. 'Fits you. I'm going as a pirate.' He paused.

'Why can't you move to a dorm? You could move in with me.'

"Then what about Molly?"

'She would move with Innes.'

"Then what about Innes' roommate?"

'He's gone.'

"What do you mean he's gone?"

'Her roommate was TBB.'

I freeze. How could he say that so lightly? Plus, how come I never knew he was Innes' roommate?

"Oh."

***

It's a typical Wednesday afternoon and I'm working my usual shift at Café Wisteria. It's really popular with G.H. students because of how cheap the food here is. Though most of my classmates, more particularly the people who hate me, come here to tease me. But I don't really mind whipping up coffees for them. I actually find it rather fun.

As my shift goes through, I watch as the clock goes around two times. As fun as this job may be at times, I still wish I was at home.

I hear a loud car pass by with a Salt-N-Pepa hot-chick song blaring at full volume. I peek outside and see a hot red Porsche park just in front of Café Wisteria.

There were two girls inside. One was stoic and the other was shouting the lyrics as the wind blew her hazel hair.

Just then did I realize it was Innes and Molly.

Of course it had to be Innes and Molly.

"Hello," I sighed as I walked up to their table.

"Well hello, Steph." Molly batted her long lashes with her hands cupping her cheeks. I knew she was trouble.

"When does your shift end?" Innes asked, her eyes glued to the menu. She said this like it was a command and not a question.

I looked at my watch. "About an hour."

She ignored me. "I'll get-"

"Hot chocolate and candy-coated pancakes from the kid's menu. You've come here long enough for me to memorize your order." I pointed my pen at Molly. "And you'll get a blue lemonade with less syrup and one strawberry muffin. I know."

Molly almost seemed impressed. "I feel flattered."

" . . ." Innes just stayed silent. There was nothing to say for her.

(YEERRSSS!!!)