Chapter XXVI - " . . . "

The building's light flickered under Ollie and I as we stepped up the endless stairs. There were no elevators and Innes' apartment was on the sixth floor.

Ollie, nervous as he was, looked back every five steps as if someone was following. I couldn't help but find it cute . . . even if we were both terrified.

I started to lose my breath. We were climbing countless steps and we were only on the third floor. I could see Ollie was panting for air too.

By the time we reached the fifth floor, I thought my legs would give in.

Then . . . we both stopped.

Luka was sitting on the stairs, a cigarette pinched between his index finger and thumb. He stared up at us in awe as smoke blew through his bruised face.

My mouth gaped open. This was . . . one of The Hazard's victims.

He had a thick gauze wrapped around his neck as his sleepy eyes widened. He slowly lowered his cigarette. He seemed . . . drained. Both physically and mentally. And the sight of us made him shocked. He didn't expect us. We didn't belong here. We were outsiders.

But he wasn't looking at Ollie. He was looking at me.

His gaze was hurt. But almost in disbelief. It was . . . as if he was analyzing me. I swore his eyes narrowed as glanced at my stomach, then directly at me.

For a moment, I assumed he thought I was The Hazard.

Yet he simply slid his cigarette back into his lips and rushed past us, down the flight of stairs.

I turned to watch him disappear. Through the stairway bars, he scrutinized me until the very moment he was gone. I was paralyzed, Luka's pained tension choked and tightened my chest.

What was that? It was almost as if he despised me. Does he despise me? No, why would he? I did nothing wrong. Maybe he just . . . didn't expect us.

Us?

. . .

He didn't expect me.

"He looks so . . . disturbed." Ollie said. He was still holding my hand. Even after meeting someone else, he didn't let go.

" . . . "

"Come on, let's go."

We wearily continued going up the stairs. But now, instead of Ollie looking back, I did.

The image of Luka's expression haunted me. It was the face of someone who's seen hell.

We finally reached Innes' apartment.

I knocked on the door and she answered.