Nope. Not doing this.

Shutting the window, I leaned against the sill and took a deep breath.

Get a grip, Radley.

It was just a dream.

*****

Staring out of the window, I cast a glance at the grey clouds pushed together in the sky, bringing gloominess and misery. After yesterday's bright sunny skies, today felt like the total opposite - dull, dark and drab.

Heaving a sigh, I folded my arms on the windowsill and rested my chin on them, staring out at the world beyond the glass.

The houses further down the street were all occupied by older people, who liked to keep to themselves. They would always acknowledge me, even ask me to run a few errands for them, which I kind of thought was a little cheeky. But, like the rest of the people in this town, they kept me at a distance, watching me but not inviting me, wanting me to run around after them, but not get too close.

Averting my eyes to the opposite side of the road and the woodlands, I felt a shiver run along my spine as images of last night's dream filled my head. I could almost hear the paws of the beasts as they raced through the forest, the pants from their snouts, the growls from their jaws.

After my shower, I had laid awake for most of the night, listening for any animal-like sounds, howls, growls ... anything.

But there had been nothing and, by the time morning came around, I was annoyed with myself. Angry at the fact that I was tired. Frustrated that I hadn't slept at all. Peeved that I had been worrying over nothing.

Yawning, I buried my head further into my arms and curled my feet up on the armchair I was sitting on. Claudia was in the kitchen, fixing lunch, and I had nothing else to do. Claudia didn't want me to go out to work. Instead, she wanted me at home with her, helping her when she needed it.

And I was happy to help. I mean, she did raise me ... the least I could do was help her out.

Closing my eyes, Orion's handsome face flitted through my mind. Memories of his deep smooth voice caused goosebumps to rush across my skin. The image of his smile was enough to pick my heart rate up, the feel of his hand against mine had my fingers itching, wanting to touch his skin once more. Warmth spread from my chest, along my arms, down into the pit of my stomach, heating my body.

He said he would see me around. And I hoped that would be the case. I would enjoy going into town a lot more if he was there, if only to look at.

Heaving a sigh, I opened my eyes. And I would only ever look at him. Just like I had always looked at Alaric.

Shaking my head, I sat up and ran a hand down my face. Alaric had been my first crush. The crush that told me that I liked men more than women. The crush that I had kept to myself. The crush that had gotten stronger, especially in the last few months.

Over the years, Claudia had caught me watching Alaric, admiring him, but had never really asked me about it. Maybe she thought that I was looking at him the same way everyone else did in this town.

I mean, everyone noticed him. Spoke to him. Even bowed their heads to him. Perhaps Claudia thought I was falling in line with the rest of them.

A huff escaped my lips at that thought.

As if.

Wiping both of my eyes as another yawn took hold, I heard Claudia move about in the kitchen, cupboards closing, shuffling her feet.

Hunching over to prop my head in my hands and elbows on the windowsill, I stared out of the window, just as movement caught my attention across the street. Leaning forward slightly, I saw Alaric emerge from the back of one of the houses opposite ours. He walked along the path from the house, reached the road and stopped, looking behind him.