His Image

Radley

Paws thundered on the ground, and I could almost feel the shake of the woodland floor as they ran, pounding closer, closer, closer ...

Panting, I kept on running, dodging trees, jumping over fallen branches, eyes forward, heart racing.

Don't look back.

Their growls were getting closer. They were getting closer.

I pumped my legs, forcing them to move faster, to put more distance between me and them.

A sharp bark had me whipping my head around. It sounded close.

Too close.

I slammed into something solid, the force throwing me backwards, and I landed on my ass.

Ouch!

Scrambling to my feet, I turned to face the solid object ... and came face to face with Alaric.

My heart stopped. Breath caught in my throat as he stood there, nude, hands balled into fists, baring his teeth, growling. His fangs were dripping saliva, his lips were pulled back in a snarl. A vein throbbed in his temple as he stared at me, his blue eyes becoming lighter ... lighter ... turning grey ...

Turning to silver.

No!

Startled awake, I jolted up in bed and threw off the blankets so I could jump to my feet.

Clutching my chest, I could feel my heart pounding fiercely against my rib cage, my breath coming out in short sharp pants. I scurried to the light switch, flicking on the light, illuminating my bedroom in stark brightness. My eyes darted across the room, from corner to corner, making sure that I was alone. That nothing was lurking, hiding, ready to pounce.

That was ...

A dream ... just a dream.

Sagging against the wall, I swallowed, feeling a bead of sweat run down my temple as cold relief washed over me.

Closing my eyes briefly, I took a deep breath, and ran both hands through my hair, wincing at how damp it was.

Oh god. I needed a shower. Looking down to find my t-shirt clinging to my torso, I rolled my eyes.

I couldn't go back to bed in damp clothes. That would be disgusting.

Grabbing another pair of shorts and t-shirt from my wardrobe, I went to the bathroom and switched on the shower, hoping that Claudia couldn't hear it. The last thing I wanted was for her to start asking why I needed a shower in the middle of the night.

Pulling the t-shirt over my head, I froze as the faint sound of a howl pierced the air, far away, outside, calling ...

I stood still, listening.

Were they ... here? For real?

My ears strained, my shirt stuck on my head, breath puffing.

Catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror, I rolled my eyes. With my t-shirt stuck over half of my head, my arms sticking out of the top, I looked stupid.

This was stupid.

It was a dream!

Angrily tossing my shirt to the side, I crossed the floor to the window, throwing it open to stick my head out into the night.

A soft breeze rustled the branches on the closest tree, blowing into the bathroom and chilling my bare torso, freezing the sweat glistening on my chest.