Her Anger

Radley

Blevine reached across and squeezed my forearm. "I'm happy you're here, Radley." She smiled, her grey eyes kind. "We don't see much of you really, so it would be nice to have you come around here more often." The warmth of her smile radiated to her eyes. "I think it would be good for you to come here every day. Get to know everyone."

I liked Blevine Wolsey. I hadn't really had much to do with her ... It was always her husband, Conri, that made himself known around the town. Walking around, with his nose in the air, acting like he owned the place. Well, I guess he did as he was mayor and he lived in this huge house.

And all this time, I hadn't really had much to do with Blevine. Sitting here now though, I noticed that she seemed to radiate warmth, understanding, respect.

I smiled back at her, watching as the skin around her striking grey eyes crinkled. She seemed to be enjoying my company.

Since Alaric had been called away by his father and he left me alone in the sitting room, Blevine had appeared and started to talk with me. Asking me about my day. What I liked to eat and drink.

After grabbing two cups of coffee from the enormous kitchen - pretty sure our whole house could fit into that one room - she'd led me to another sitting room, where we currently were ... sitting side by side on the comfiest sofa ever, sipping hot drinks and chatting. I felt ... comfortable around her. She put me at ease. Made me feel... well, valued. Something I had only recently started to feel.

"Alaric won't be long." She leaned back against the cushions. "Sometimes, his father needs him to help out with a few ... issues. But it's only because Alaric will take over once Conri retires and he's still learning the ropes."

Oh.

Alaric wanted to be mayor like his dad? It didn't seem like that would be a fitting career choice for him - sitting behind a desk. He seemed more ... active ... than that. Like he would be better suited to doing that martial arts stuff I saw those other guys doing outside a few moments ago.

That job would suit Alaric better.

A sudden image of Alaric's bare muscular back flashed across my mind, causing a pleasant tickle in my stomach.

No.

Now was not the time.

Leaning forward in my seat when I realised I may have to hide yet another bulge in my jeans, I gripped the warm cup between both hands and took a deep breath. "I ... uh ... didn't know that was what Alaric wanted to do. For a job, I mean."

Something flickered across Blevine's face, quick, before that familiar warm smile lit up her face once more.

"Well, he can't really get out of it. It's sort of ... in his genes." She took a sip of her drink, before placing the cup on the coffee table in front of us. Reaching over, she took my drink and placed the cup next to hers, before leaning forward and gripping both of my hands in hers, forcing me to turn my torso towards her.

"Radley," she began, her voice kind yet firm. "There are things that you need to know. Things about Alaric, about me, about Conri ... about you. Things that have been kept from you. And it really is time you knew exactly ... well ... what it is."

My blood ran cold at her words, and I wasn't sure why. I held her hands tighter as she scooted across the sofa a little more so our knees were almost touching.

She glanced at the closed door briefly. "But I don't think I'm the best one to tell you. Maybe ... maybe it's better to come from Alaric." She bit her lip as she dropped her gaze to the coffee table. "He's starting to take you under his wing. And by telling you about ... this ... well, it can be his first duty as ..." Her eyes flickered to me. "His first duty in his new role."