12. Never Let A Self-Absorbed Freak Eat Your Fries.

Yay.

I could write a full page of maths homework without falling asleep now.

This needs to be celebrated.

I had been coming to Neon for the past two days now, and that idiot was actually a good teacher.

A great teacher, actually.

My exam was tomorrow, and he was just rounding up integrals.

I hate calculus.

If that wasn't clear before.

"Are you listening?"

"Mhm."

"So, given the slope
field of a differential equation, we can sketch various solutions to the equa- Are you even focusing?"

"Hmm?"

"Sapphire!"

I turned my head back, and I saw his ugly ass face again. He was sitting opposite my chair, looking frustrated as hell.

"I'm sorry, I'm just- I'm just not good at this. I can't really focus on stuff for too long, I swear you're not a bad teacher- okay, maybe a little- but I'll try and focus more."

"Do you have ADHD?"

"I don't even know what that means." I say, shrugging.

"Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a condition that affects people's behaviour. People with ADHD can seem restless and may have trouble concentrating" He says, glancing at me. "Your parents never took you to check it out?"

"I'm not sure they even noticed if anything was wrong. Is that why I have insomnia? Is it some kind of symptom?"

"I'm not really sure. It could be, but you need to get it checked out by a doctor first. Maybe after your test tomorrow."

I stare at him with gratitude.

"Thanks..for this. You've really helped me a lot, Trevor. At least if I was gonna fail now, I would get a D, not an F." I say, standing up.

"That's not really reassuring."

I roll my eyes and head to the counter.
"Can you give me some of those leftover fries you guys keep in the back? Tell whoever makes them that I love them."

"I don't think I can accept that compliment." He says, going into the back.

"It's you?! You make those heavenly ass fries back there?"

"Why does it seem so unbelievable to you?"

"Because you're you! I thought it would be some kind of world class chef that made these." I say, putting one in my mouth.

"Anyway, tomorrow's your test, right?"

"Mhm."

"So now we can review my end of the bargain."

I gulped. I probably owed him my whole life by now.

"Okay, spit it out."

"I want you-"

"Um, I'm flattered, but-"

"-to come to the restaurant everyday so we can attract customers."

"Oh. And how will that bring customers here?"

"If you and your siblings keep coming here everyday, with your expensive cars and shit-"

"-That has to be racist somehow."

"-Then people will think this is an established restaurant and will want to come here. Common sense."

"It isn't really common sense. I don't think I've ever seen an established restaurant with a glowing purple LED signboard.."

He swallowed down his frustration and glared at me, his fists clenched. "So will you, or will you not do it?"

"Sure, I will. I do owe you my life basically. But I'm not too sure about my sister though, she might not want to come here every single hour of every single day of every single- mm, these fries are really good." I say, standing up.

He sighs, and stands by the counter for a while." You really should go check that out."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." I call out, walking towards the entrance.

"Wait, wait! You didn't pay for those!"

"They're leftovers broski, it's like asking me to pay for those silicone packs that you find in boxes." I call out.

"I could get fired!"

"Then I wouldn't have to come here again, so deal with it!" I yell, closing the front door.

I smile to myself, eating my leftover fries. I called Em to pick me up, and we drove home.

Maybe I should go get this checked out. I haven't been able to sleep notmally since the hospital.

And that does wonders to your already poor mental health.

Maybe I was a drug addict, and I didn't know.

Maybe, whenever I slept for those few minutes or hours, I would sleepwalk and take random drugs from the cabinet downstairs..

That seems possible.

After, the incident (ominous voice), I've actually had profound gratitude towards that dumbass waiter boy.

Not like I actually like talking to him or anything, I just feel grateful to him.

That's it.

When I had gotten home that day, my mom had hugged me so tight, I thought my intestines would spill out, and I'd have to go back to that stinky hospital.

I heard that my dad had called while I was unconscious.

I wasn't really surprised or anything, because I knew my dad still cared about us, all of us, but he just wasn't around much to show it.

I still had a lot to take care of, I had to speak to my dad, I still had the Milo and Charlotte situation to work out, I had a calculus exam tomorrow that I, hopefully, won't fail.

Life was good.

When I stepped out of the shower, something was nagging me to text Trevor, but I ignored it.

I needed to get as much sleep as possible.

I couldn't risk failing this exam. Finals would come up soon, and there are so many other subjects I'm barely passing.

If I do fail this exam though, I'd probably be stuck in high school till forever.

And knowing myself, that really didn't seem like such a stretch from reality.

Author's note

Thanks for all the votes and follows🩷 I appreciate everyone of you. Tysm❤️

Love,
Kayla🙈

#12. What do you call someone who does nothing but play Fortnite?

A virgin.