11

Staring blankly at the male, Aerum grappled with the uncertainty of initiating a conversation to dispel her mounting suspicions and doubts

Staring blankly at the male, Aerum grappled with the uncertainty of initiating a conversation to dispel her mounting suspicions and doubts. The man, the enigmatic boss of this unknown place, kept his back turned as he prepared coffee for the impending discussion. Uncomfortably settled on the sofa, Aerum fidgeted with her fingers, nervously contemplating what questions to pose.

Her gaze remained fixed on the man, but her mind involuntarily drifted back to her conversation with Jinwoo.

Flashback.
"Now tell me what happened, and don't you dare to lie," she had sternly threatened, prompting a nod from the younger boy. Jinwoo began recounting the unsettling rumours circulating on the first days of school, detailing a class 12A student's mysterious murder. Aerum listened intently, absorbing every bit of information.

"Inyeop, he was the prime suspect, frequently caught bullying Jinn... Yes, noona, it was Jinn, my childhood friend," Jinwoo disclosed, catching Aerum off guard.

The revelation continued - "The surveillance footage captured the tragic moment when a truck collided with him. According to the police, he was allegedly drunk, wandering the streets and meeting an accidental fate under the truck's wheels. However, the autopsy report painted a grimmer picture, revealing the cause of death as a savage beating with formidable objects. A cruel twist of fate, they claimed - an escape from relentless bullying only to succumb to a fatal encounter with the truck. The irony deepened as the toxicology report exhibited no traces of alcohol in his bloodstream."

Aerum, processing this revelation, couldn't believe the contradictory narrative. Witnessing the reports firsthand, the stark reality struck her - "he couldn't have been drunk...I saw the reports. He can't be drunk you know that he was....."

" Alcohol intolerant..." aerum completes the sentence as he nods with teary eyes

Jinn was alcohol intolerant.

The words echoed in her mind, a haunting refrain that initially sparked disbelief, evolved into profound shock, and culminated in a surge of anger.

"When I asked Inyeop about him, he told me that Jinn's father was involved in corruption within Inyeop's dad's business, stealing ninety-five million won with Jinn's assistance. A lame excuse, isn't it?" His eyes fixed on Aerum as she nodded.

"But Inyeop didn't fully address my question. Suddenly, something hard struck my head, and I lost consciousness. When I opened my eyes, I found myself in the centre of the ring. He whispered in my ears that if I won, he would disclose the truth. Deep down, I knew he wouldn't keep his promise. Before I could leave, my opponent landed a punch on me. However, I discovered that Jinn possessed evidence of Inyeop harassing a female student who tragically took her own life. Inyeop was desperate to prevent Jinn from exposing this information to the principal. That's why he..."

Suddenly, the monitor attached to Jinwoo began beeping incessantly, signalling rising panic. Aerum, despite her internal turmoil, placed a gentle hand on his good hand, attempting to soothe him. "It's fine, Jinwoo. Calm down. Everything will be fine. Relax. Don't panic," she reassured, her tone belying the turmoil within.

As the monitor's beeping subsided, a tear escaped Jinwoo's eye. Aerum, maintaining her composure, drew close, comforting him with gentle caresses and soft words. "Jinwoo..." she uttered in a voice both tender and pure. His emotional dam broke, and tears flowed freely.

"...They killed him" he choked out, revealing the gravity of the situation. Aerum's finger movements paused abruptly. "Inyeop took his life. Do you know why the police didn't take action even though they have evidence? Because Inyeop's father is in the military-"

A knock on the door interrupted the intense moment, and Mark's voice shattered the sombre atmosphere. "Aerum, dude, let's go home. I'm starving," he announced, blissfully unaware of the heavy conversation.

Mark makes a disgusting face. " I feel like throwing up" he did not understand the switched mood as he completely exposed himself to them.

" Aerum, I'm talking to you. Not just think about Jinwoo, think about this handsome cousin of yours " She rolled her eyes at Mark. " Wait for me, I'm coming ". Aerum stood up and started to collect the utensils and put them in a bag.

When aerum was done packing the bag and ready to leave, she reassured Jinwoo, "I'll visit you tonight. Take care and call me or Mark if anything happens." she said with a smile.

As she prepared to depart, Jinwoo's voice halted her. "Noona... Inyeop challenged Renjun to kill me."

"What...?" she stammered, shocked. The weight of the revelation settled, and Jinwoo made eye contact with Aerum.

"If it's not for you, I would be dead by now. You saved me."

The words lingered in the air, a profound acknowledgment of Aerum's impact on Jinwoo's fate.

Yeah, I post twice. Bc the last chapter was a little too short 💀