“I’m serious,” I answered, appalled. Did I seriously have such a big ‘good girl’ reputation?

“I think she’s serious, Kay,” a voice in the background added.

“Uh… Well. I mean. I’d do it, honest, but that shit’s expensive. I don’t got that money.”

“Don’t worry about the money!” I said quickly. “I have more than enough. I just need someone to get it for me, okay?” When Kayla didn’t say anything, I added, “Think of it as paying me back, okay?”

The line was silent for a minute. I guessed that she was thinking the whole thing over. Finally, she answered. “Okay, I’ll do it.” I quickly did a little victory dance before giving her my address and exactly what I needed. As soon as I hung up on Kayla, I called McKenzie who was conveniently already with Sabrina. 

“Guys. Party at my house. Tell everyone.”

____________________________________________

LIAM

I was a mess. Like as in, an actual mess. The last time I had felt this bad was probably when I had to wait for Brenda at the hospital, not knowing if she was going to be okay.

It was ridiculous how much I cared for Brooklyn. Nobody knew what I would actually do for the girl. Or maybe they did, since I was letting her go like I was told to. But if it was the ‘right’ thing to do, then why did it feel so wrong?

Leaning my head back against the car seat, I looked up to the sky. All night I had been thinking about Brooklyn and how I missed her and how I just wanted try something serious with her. But then my father’s voice came back, reminding me how I couldn’t ruin her.

“Ruin her,” I laughed out loud, squeezing my eyes shut. Never would I ever do anything to harm her. Sure, I did have a sketchy past but that meant nothing.

“It’s too late for anything now,” I muttered, raising my eyes to the sky again. It was dotted with so many stars and it just looked so peaceful. I always came up to the park when I needed to clear my mind. And more often than not, it helped.

My peaceful thinking was interrupted by a call. My eyes wandered down to my ringing phone and I read the caller I.D. It was my friend Alex.

“What?” I answered, purposefully lowering my tone.

“You prick! You told me you weren’t doing anything tonight!” he shouted through the line, shouting thoroughly pissed. My friends almost never got mad at me because I rarely did anything to actually get them legitimately mad.

“What?”

“I just got the group message. Party at 693 Grand Street. That’s your address! What the fuck, man?!”

“Alex! What the hell are you talking about! I’m at the park!”

“My ass! Spending your Saturday night at the park! Why the fuck did you lie?”

“I DIDN’T LIE!” I screamed, losing my temper. What the hell was wrong with everyone?! “Maybe there was a mistake with the address.”

Alex scoffed. “Whatever,” he muttered. “As if that 90 year old cat lady next to you would throw a party.” He hung up on me without even giving me a chance to say something back. I set my phone down slowly, slightly troubled. How had my address come up in a group message? Was it some prank or something?

Clearing my throat, I tried to get back to my thinking but I just couldn’t concentrate.

My phone rang about three minutes later and I jumped at it. It wasn’t Alex this time, but another one of my friends, Tony.