Chapter 26

Adrianna's pov :

  "Let go of her hand!". Armando yells with panic taking over his facial expression.
Tears start to drop profusely at this point.
  "I can't! My hand isn't letting go. I don't have any control! Help us please". My voice becomes weak at the end. Angelo rushes out of the room and father walks towards us slowly.  He takes my hands and tries to pry it away from Lily's.

   If this was not a very serious situation, I would be laughing at the man who runs a weaponry business but cannot separate hands.
   After trying a couple more times, he steps back and stares at us. He massages his temples in worry.
   Angelo comes back with a tiny syringe with clear substance in his hand.

   "So the best thing I can think of now is to numb your hand. Can I go ahead?".
   I nod my head furiously. He injects the liquid into my hand and within minutes, I start losing feeling in it. My grip eventually loosens on her hand and she slips it out.

   Her hand is very red and it looked like I broke a finger. I look at her and my heart breaks at the sight of her pain. I run into the bathroom and lock the door before anyone can say anything.
    I lock the door immediately and turn on water in the bathtub.  They keep hitting the door I just tune them out.

    I strip and enter the tub. I go under the water and tune everything out. There would be no problem if I end it here right? No one would be hurt ever again. Everyone may be sad for a while but they will be happy again. Everyone will be safe. 
   No, not everyone. My baby. My unborn will be hurt. I just have to stay  away from everyone. Then they will all be safe and my baby will come to me soon.

    I push myself out of the water and just lay inside unwilling to go outside.
    After what it feels like hours, I hear the door open and close.

     I wait for a few minutes and unlock the door. I step out and use my eyes to scan the room for a movement. When I don't see any, I walk to the door and lock it.
    I go to my bedside table and search and for my sleeping pills. I pop the pills and lay on the bed.
   The darkness starts to envelope me soon enough. With a stray tear leaving the corner of my eye, I close my eyes.

                     Angelo's pov

   I have bandaged Lily's hand and gave her some pain killers to relieve the pain.  They are pretty shaken up.

   After sending Lily to her room, I go to father's office. When I enter, I'm greeted the sight of my pacing brother and the frustrated look on my father's face. Well, they are right to be worried.
   "Father, Armando, we need to talk". They turn their attention to me.

   "Angelo, I need you to tell me the truth.  Do you have any idea about what could be wrong with Adrianna?". I look at them unable to bring myself to tell them that their little one might die even before experiencing the joy of becoming a mother. How do I explain to them that our little tesoro might be taken away from us once again. This time for good.

   "Truthfully speaking, Adrianna doesn't look like she will get better anytime soon. I'm not so sure what just happened but it is definitely related to the effect the chemical is having on her. The pregnancy is not going to help her. The child is in danger too. The only good suggestion now is to keep her under observations and make her start her ante natal soon so that the progress of the baby can be tracked. In the meantime, I will try to look for a way to suppress the chemicals affecting her to buy us some time to find the scientist that caused all these".

   Their expressions change from bad to worse. Well, that was expected. Armando looks like he wants to hurt someone. Father, on the other hand, masked his emotions bit it doesn't take a mind reader to know that he is terribly worried.

   "Okay. So that's what we will do. Angelo continue working on it and Armando, I need you to trace this guy. I need a serious lead in the next five days. Everyone should keep an eye on Adrianna at all times. She should never be left alone. Lastly, under no circumstances should anything happen to her. Understood? " He stares at us coldly. A shiver runs down my spine. It's been a really long time since he has been like this.

    "Yes sir. The World Mafia Gala is in three days. Will Adrianna be coming with us?" Armando asks.

  "Absolutely not! Have you seen her?! She is not in the right frame of mind to go anywhere not to talk about a ball". I quickly interjected.

   Father looks like he is deep in thought. What could he be thinking about? Would he really allow her to be in such an environment?

  He stands up and walks towards us.
"She will go. There's a possibility of the person we are looking for being there. That reduces our stress load too. I just need both of you to always be with her. I will handle the rest. You can both leave now".

   Although his reason makes a lot of sense, we can't deny that it is really dangerous. What if something bad happens? I can't change father's mind now. I will just have to be around her  everytime.

   We both take our leave to resume to our respective goals. I hope this ball goes well at least.

Author's note:
   Hey lovely people! It's your favorite lazy writer here!! Don't forget to vote, comment and follow me💗 love y'all and thanks for supporting my book😩