Chapter 63 - Pity Date

The weekend arrives faster than I can comprehend, and I sit across from Soobin in a quaint cafe.

I have never felt more out of place and I felt really out of place when I went to get fitted for my uniform. This place would put that place to shame.

I only thought places like these existed in movies. It was all white and pink, with sakura blossoms decorating every corner and accents of gold littered throughout the room.

It is beautiful, no doubt but this is definitely not where I would ever see myself or would be comfortable.

I shift in my seat and peek at him again from on top of my menu. He is studying the menu but maybe he feels my eyes on him and looks up. His face breaks into a smile, flashing his dimples and his eyes turn to half-moon.

I bury my face down in my menu.

Part of me wanted to come here today because I didn't want to let Soobin down and part of me was still somewhat angry at Yeonjun.

I am not even sure what I expected him to say or how to react to me saying that Soobin asked me out but he went cold and then left and I have not seen him since.

It's not like I was waiting for him. Huh, why would I?

And why was I thinking of Yeonjun when I was sitting across from Soobin? Why was my head stuck on him?

Yeonjun didn't have a very smooth relationship with Soobin but that did not mean that I had to see Soobin with his lens. I can make up my mind about Soobin without having 3 different people tell me what opinions I should have of him.

The waiter comes by to take our orders, and I quickly mumble something about green tea, avoiding eye contact with Soobin.

I can feel his gaze on me, and it makes me even more uncomfortable.

I want to enjoy my time here because I don't know when I'll come to a place like this again.

"So, Yuri, what do you think of this place?" Soobin breaks the silence, trying to spark a conversation.

I glance around, taking in the delicate decor. "It's... beautiful. Really fancy, though. I'm not used to places like this."

Soobin chuckles, "Yeah, I thought it might be a bit much. But I wanted to take you somewhere special."

I force a smile, appreciating the effort but unable to shake off the uneasy feeling in my chest. "I appreciate it, Soobin. It's just a bit overwhelming."

As we wait for our drinks, my mind drifts back to that sarcastic comment Yeonjun made. Why did he care? And why did I care so much about his reaction?

Soobin senses my distraction. "Is everything okay, Yuri? You seem a bit off."

I hesitate, unsure of how much to share. "Just... some drama at school. Nothing important."

Soobin leans in, concern etched on his face. "You can talk to me about it, you know. I'm here for you."

I manage a small smile, appreciating his kindness. "Thanks, Soobin. It's just... complicated."

"Here's the cake you ordered" The waiter places a silver dome in front of me and I look quizically at Soobin. We did not order any food yet.

Before I can correct the waiter that he probably got the order wrong, Soobin thanks the waiter and he sets off.

"Soobin, I think they got the tables mixed up. We did not order anything yet" I whisper at him for no reason at all.

He chuckles and encourages me to open it.

Hesitantly I agree and lift the silver cover to reveal a small pink bento cake with red icing on the borders and sorry written in the middle.