Chapter 77 - Lies and Pies

“What were you thinking?” I demand as we walk outside the store.

“I - I didn’t do anything wrong. I don’t understand why you’re angry” he asks, perplexed.

His eyes are confused and eyebrows furrowed together. He has a frown on his face, like he is not too happy with me right now.

I don’t want him to be happy with me. After everything that Yeonjun has told me, it is hard not to have biases against him.

But that’s beside the point right now.
I don’t understand why he was at my house, pretending to be a part-timer. It’s not like he was in need of money.
“Why were you lying to my parents?” I ask more harshly than I intend to.

But this feels like a violation of privacy. I don’t even know the intention behind his action but I don’t have a good feeling about it.

Besides, I just told my parents that we knew each other from school and they were already excited to see another student from Royals High.

I can’t imagine how they would react if they got to know that the boy they were ordering around was actually the heir of the Choi family. The same boy they claimed to be the new part-timer was actually capable of buying the entire building we are staying in.

My mother even gave him an envelope for today’s work.

He must have been laughing on the inside looking at the measly amount of money inside it. He probably can’t even fathom that someone can get so little money for so much manual work.

“I never lied to your parents” he says defensively and I have never been as angry at Soobin as I am right now.

“What are you doing here Soobin?” I ask exasperated.

I couldn’t go into inner monologues right now. I needed to talk it out with him right now. I needed to understand why he was here and what he was doing.

“I came to see you” he throws his hands in my direction  as if that is supposed to answer all the rapid fire questions that are running through my head right now.

As Soobin threw his hands in my direction, frustration bubbled up within me. It was as if he was answering my questions without any real answers.

"See me? What do you mean, 'see me'?" I retorted, my voice rising with each word.

"You show up at my house, pretending to be a part-time worker, lying to my parents, and you expect me to believe you just wanted to see me?" I held my head in my hands, trying to calm myself down.

“Why are you here Soobin? I have had a very long day today and I am not in a position to micro-analyze your answers, trying to figure out your motives. Please, tell me the truth” I say defeatedly.

Soobin's expression softened slightly, as if he finally realized the gravity of the situation. Maybe I look very tired, or maybe he decides to take pity on me but he answers.

"Look, I didn't mean to cause any trouble," he began, his tone pleading. He runs a hand over his face and hair, musing it in the process.

It is when I notice that he is not in his uniform.

He is wearing a navy knit sweater and khaki pants with plain white sneakers. He now had a beige coat over his outfit. He fit in as any other teenager around, given no one paid much attention to the brand of clothing he was wearing.

Even though he looks like he would fit in, his lost eyes, scanning around gives it away that he is not from around here.

I rub my face with my hand and take a seat on the sidewalk and look at him hoping he continues to speak because I am tired of repeating my question.