Chapter 111: Purpose

Hey, I'm back from my break! Happy new year!!! 🥳
Hope you had amazing holidays, a lovely christmas celebration (I didn't 🥲), and a great new years eve!

This chapter is like three times the size of my usual chapters, but I don't feel like splitting it into two. I had a goal in mind how many words a chapter could have maximum and this is way more than what I had in mind.
Idk, what do you guys think?

TW: Mentions of war, military coups, trust issues and neglection

*****************************

"Quiet down, please!"

After a short break, Sapnap was attempting to get everyone's attention back to him, but that seemed like a quite impossible mission given the bomb that Dream had just dropped on them a few minutes ago.

The leader himself was sitting in his seat, quietly chuckling. It was funny, honestly, everybody was celebrating him winning Prince Clay over and not for a split second anyone had suspected him being the prince.

After having a talk with Techno, Dream had decided to speak about himself in third person, about his alter ego, Prince Clay. He had told the rebels he had convinced the prince to join them, which was incredibly funny given the fact that he, the prince, had founded this rebellion.

After it had become quiet, well, as quiet as it could be with everybody still fussing over the news, Sapnap cleared his throat. "Next topic." He glanced over to Dream nervously. "The war."

Now he had the attention of every last person in the room. The thing they'd been trying to stop from happening ever since the rebellion was founded, the reason they were here today and the reason they were all risking becoming official enemies of the kingdom forever had occured.

There had been no real battle yet as bith sides were still trying to sort out their military, but officially they were at war, with the risk of either side making the first move anytime. For a while, they'd hoped it would stay like this, both kingdoms on alert, but nobody striking, but these foolish thoughts were proved wrong soon.

"As of right now, the plan is a military coup. All of us will eventually be called to serve in the army and we will infiltrate it from there. When we have enough soldiers on our side, we will overthrow the king."

"Aw, come on! That's not neccessary anymore, is it?", some guy yelled from the back of the group. "And why do you think that?", Sapnap asked suspiciously. "Well, don't we have the prince on our side now? I bet all it takes for him is a batting of his pretty eyelashes at his daddy and maybe a few good reasons. If he's really on our side."

Now all eyes were on Dream all of a sudden. "I think you're overestimating his power in the palace", he said, heart feeling heavy like a stone.
Neptune, I wish it was that easy...

"Why? It's not like you know that well, right? Are you sure he's really on our side?"

"I am", Dream replied calmly, "but if he really wants peace as much as we do and is willing to join a whole rebellion that could probably get him disowned if he was to be discovered, do you really think he wouldn't have ended this already if he could?" That shut the guy up.

"Still, there's got to be something he can do, right? I mean, our plan's incredibly risky. If one of us get's discovered... I don't think any of us could keep quiet if tortured", Quackity cut in. "Well, except for Technoblade maybe."

"Well... as somebody who's worked in the castle for a pretty long time now", Dream said, surprised how easy the lie came over his lips. But after all, he'd been telling the same one for an eternity now. "Let me tell you what I witnessed."

And so he told them about him not being heard or even really cared about in the castle, how he was just water for everyone, how his ideas were turned down, opinions not listened to and plans not executed.

He was really letting off some steam talking about how he'd basicially been ignored ever since his mother had died and it felt good. It felt good being able to finally talk to someone about all this, even if he was leaving out some details and talking about it in the point of view of someone on the outside, a third person's point of view.

The rebels were really quiet after he was finally finished, until Sapnap let out a breath. "I didn't know you were so close to him", he mumbled and Dream realized he might've gone a little too deeply into the emotions, how it had felt for him, instead of staying objective.

But it felt like a huge weight had been lifted off his shoulders, this was the first time he had talked about his experiences the openly.

"So he's not an option", Technoblade summarized calmly.
"He might be", Sapnap said. "Just not for help for us right now."

"For what else could he be an option?", Dream asked confusedly.

"Well, the real reason I wanted to bring this up today was that... we still don't really have a plan what to do if the coup succeeds. Dream, how much do you trust Clay?"

Taken aback by the question, Dream hesitated for a second, not sure what to answer. How much did he trust himself?

"Well... I believe he'd do his best to lead our kingdom to unprecedented prosperity while making sure to treat his subjects with kindness, respect and justice", he announced proudly.

Actually he had never wanted to become king despite everyone telling him it was his fate. But seeing the despair of the people, his people, and the way his father was planning to throw them away like toys he didn't want anymore, all because of his delusions of grandeur, he had decided to accept this fate that he had been born with. His life finally got the purpose it had been missing for so long.