Chapter 91: Maze

TW: Cursing

*****************************

"What?", Dream whispered in shock. George pulled his arm out of the siren's grip and continued swimming down the hallway.

"Hey, wait, what do you mean?!" But George didn't answer anymore.

Everyone was glad when there was finally a light at the end of the tunnel. However, there was no way out there, only another big room.

But this one was not as lovingly decorated as the other one, it was plain white. Many other tunnels, hallways and corridors were spreading into all directions from here, a gigantic maze below the castle.

"What the fuck...", Sapnap mumbled.
"So much to a way out", Techno said.

Dream carefully swam out into the room. "Atleast we can go somewhere", he pointed out and started smelling every single way.

"What are you doing?", George asked annoyedly. Silliness would not get them out of here! Dream turned around and smiled. "Well, I'm trying to figure out which one has the most oxygen. That one is probably the shortest.

If I'm correct, we should be right below the dungeons, which would mean that this one", he pointed to a tunnel on George's right, "should bring us downtown.

He pointed straight ahead. "This one should lead to the mermaid kingdom, the matching smell gives away the fact that this one is the longest. And that way", he pointed to his right, "should bring us out of the city."

"I suggest downtown", Technoblade announced. "No, I think we should head out of town", Dream replied. "That way, nobody will see us come out of the tunnels."
"But it'll take us an eternity to get back and the sun has already set. I agree with Techno, let's go downtown", Sapnap said.

"Well, lovely conversation and all", George said, "but I wanna go home." He swam past Dream into the tunnel leading to the mermaid kingdom.

"Wait!", Dream called out. "You don't know what's on the other end! What if something happens? We'll never find out!" "Don't worry, I'll be fine." George swam ahead.

Dream followed him. "Wait, I'll come with you!" George looked at him as if he had lost his mind. Which he probably had, Dream realized. But he just couldn't bear the thought of leaving George, of continuing his life the way he used to be fore he had met him.

"This could be your death!", George yelled, stunned by his friend's stupidity.

"You'll protect me", Dream said. "You can hide me and I can return home." The merman still didn't seem to like the idea.

"Please, George. I just want to make sure you get home safely. Plus... if..."
"If what?"
"If... we part ways now... we'll never see eachother again."

A small part of Dream was expecting to George to answer with a simple "And?", but he kept quiet, until finally replying with:
"Fine."