𝟎𝟖

["I'll never get to haven 'cous I don't know how."]

Opening the car door for Calia to get out, it allowed me one more look at her. A crimson dress hugged her body fluttering in the wind as she walked briskly.

Before we could enter the hall, we were greeted by a mass of photographers dazzling us with the flash of their cameras.

"Rule for tonight," I whispered in her ear placing my hand around her waist to bring her closer. "Don't talk to the press or anyone else unless I'm by your side. Do you understand?"

"What if I break the rule?" The volume in her voice didn't surprise me.

"Then you'd have to suffer the consequences."

"Now, the rules," I informed Maria without waiting for her response. "Tonight, as you can see, you are my partner. I expect you to act like that, which means I don't want other people's eyes on you or your eyes on anyone else."

I noticed the confusion in her voice as she let out a short "Huh" so I continued moving to rest my lips against her ear, smelling the soothing scent of her hair.

"That means you're mine. All night. And if I see anyone else's hands on you, I'll rip them off their body and make a sculpture of them, just so you'll remember what happens when someone touches something that's mine."

"Mr. Stoia, what can you tell us about your foundation?" The first journalist asked, shoving the microphone in my face.

"Mr. Stoia, what is the reason for establishing your foundation?"

"Mr. Stoia, can we expect Mrs. Stoia in the future?"

I shoved away all the questions, pushing Calia inside the hall before another journalist could approach us.

"Well done boss," Calia commented as the door closed behind us.

"Mr. Stoia, how nice to see you!" An older man greeted me, shaking my hand. He was already surrounded by a group of people who followed him like a runner at a similar pace.

"Mr. Phillips, good to see you too," I replied with an obvious flat tone.  "Thank you for taking the time to join us here tonight. It means a lot to my foundation."

"Sure, sure." He dismissed it as if it held no significance. "Me and my friends just couldn't miss an event like this. Just tell me–who this young lady would be?"

His eyes wandered to Calia, taking her hand in his and leaving a kiss on her wrist.

"I have to admit this one is a lot more beautiful than the ones you used to bring to your father's parties," Phillips mentioned, eyeing Calia once more.

I resisted the temptation to strike the man in front of everyone. Instead, I took a deep breath, visualized the consequences in my mind, and eventually, the urge to hit him diminished, leaving me with a sense of control.

"So, we heard terrible news about your bank accounts and an unknown cyber intruder, and we hope it's nothing too serious. But how will the foundation support you after this?" His voice was soft, fake, I noticed as he gave his little subjects an unwavering smirk.

"I'd rather not talk about it. Quite the contrary, I came here to relax a bit from the whole situation. You'll understand."  I contradicted before Phyllis could add anything else.

"You are surely right for that. Here," He took by the hand one of the elderly women from his circle and moved her in front of him. "Nothing relaxes more than dancing with a young lady. Don't mind that this one has expired, she still knows some moves."

The woman smiled, offering me her hand. "My pleasure, Mr. Stoia." I gave Calia one last look before taking the woman's old, wrinkled hand.

During the whole dance, her hands rumored impatiently on my body.  Feeling my organs stiffen, I almost pushed her away trying to avoid the discomfort she was creating.

"Mr. Stoia, you are one wicked womanizer." The woman commented followed by reckless laughter. "You really do make this young lady happy." It was only a matter of seconds before I felt her hand squeezing my butt and it fucking crossed the line.

"Excuse me." I snapped, pushing off her and walking over to the drinks table.  "Dance with me." Grabbing Calia's hand I dragged her to the dance floor where I quickly wrapped my arms around her.

"What's the problem? Is this lady too much for you?" Calia joked as we started swaying to the rhythm of the music.

"Fucking old men." I watched as the older woman I danced with a few seconds ago approached Phillips who immediately offered me his rich smile.

"Do you think he got you that woman to bribe you?"

"I think he played that woman on me to mock me." I pointed out, pulling her closer to me. "Otherwise, he knows he can't bribe me no matter how much he offers."

"What about $2.3 million?"

"What?" I turned to Calia.

"I heard him talk about donating $2.3 million to your foundation, but only if you let him run it with you."

"That fucker." I spoke for myself.

"Mr. Stoia, look this way!" The man shouted, flashing his camera. "This headline will be all over Times Square: 'Aaron Stoia and His Unfinished Love Story.'