𝟎𝟐

["Writings on the wall."]

Calia was the first to attack the guards, draining them of their lives in less than a second. Their bodies collapsed onto the floor with a loud thud.

"I'll take the left." She announced, walking off in that direction without looking back.

McGuimer and I took the right while Nash and Lockhart took the direction upstairs.

We weren't looking much when we heard low sounds. The wooden door was the only thing separating us from them.

Save them.

My head snapped to the side, eliciting a confused look from McGuimer.

"What did you say?" I warned him in witch his eyebrows just narrowed.

"I didn't say anything." He made excuses, but trusting him is the last thing I'll do.

Save them.

Once more, I found myself frozen in place, my arm descending to my side just shy of grasping the doorknob.

Save them, Aaron, save them.

Don't let them die.

"Are you fucking with me?" I jumped on the man next to me, pinning him to the wall by the collar.

McGuimer's eyes snapped, grabbing my fists around his neck. "What the fuck man? Get off of me!"

As much as he tried, my grip tightened around him, making it impossible for him to move.

"You think it's funny? The voices you make? You fucking shit-" Upon the impact of his head against the door, it swung open, compelling me to release my grip, allowing him to fall and roll into the room.

A children's room, to be exact.

Small and narrow, but the sounds in it are transmitted quickly and easily, with echoes being heard. The moonlight falling on the green walls gave a ghostly experience.

By the time, McGuimer rose to his feet and stood next to me. His hands brushed his suit before giving me a perplexed and terrified look. One of them was addressed to me and my urge that I managed to get towards him, and the other to the sounds coming from the room we were in.

They are right here, Aaron.

Save them.

Save the children.

My head snapped again in the direction of McGuimer, but this time the voice was softer, quieter, more familiar.

The sounds diminished but drew nearer as I moved through the pile of toys, encountering children's chairs and teddy bears blocking my way.

The children.

Save the children.

Which children?

"Stoia?" McGuimer called to me from across the room, standing next to a wooden closet. He wandered on me before turning towards the doorknob.

The confusing feeling soon faded away, just to be replaced frightened one when the closet door opened with a loud creak. And they were discovered.

"Well look what we have here," McGuimer said, his gaze on the two small children wrapped in each other's arms.

Their little bodies moved in sync and rhythm like a song and their dark eyes, full of tears, stopped me in my tracks as their gaze fell on me.