𝟎𝟔

["Isn't it lovely, all alone?"]

"Boss. Can we talk for a second?" As I walked down the stairs, I was stopped by Redd who hurriedly walked beside me trying to get my attention. "It won't take long, I promise."

I stopped at my track letting out air. With one movement of my head, I signaled to the man around me to continue. "What is it, Redd? Can't you see I'm in a hurry?" I said bitterly not allowing myself to look at her.

My mind is still wandering between reality and the dream that happened a while ago, but it also goes back to the nights when Calia tried to seduce me without an ounce of shame.

If she were a man, she wouldn't be standing as straight as she is now.

"Be quick," I added in the same tone.

"I just wanted to tell you that my behavior two nights ago was indecorously and I'm reassuring you that that won't happen again," Calia said firmly and flatly without an ounce of emotion. Knowing her long enough, her attitude and tone didn't surprise me.

I cleared my throat. "Then don't make it happen again unless you want to lose this job." This time I looked at her and she looked exactly as she sounded. Calm, composed, and ready. Almost as always.

"I'm assuring you that I won't." She said once more with a slight nod.

"Good."

"Thank you for another opportunity."

"Let it be last, Redd." With that, she left and I continued walking.

The room is cold as usual. The gray leather furniture adds even more dark details with the curtains drawn and the half-extinguished chandelier. But in the end, it wasn't the atmosphere that stopped me in my tracks. It was a man pacing impatiently around the room, muttering something to himself.

"Vladimir." I greeted him as calmly and composedly as I could.

I haven't seen any Petrov since the funeral five years ago and Vladimir, the youngest of the four brothers, was the first of their line that I saw.

After my wife from last night, I still can't think about it without feeling like I want to eat myself.

At the sound of my voice, Vladimir reflexively turned around. He looked the same as the first time I met him. Gray hair, mustache, and beard. Even if he is only about forty years old, a person would think that his life span is at an end.

"Hunter," Vladimir said alarmingly, pointing a finger as he approached me.

I stopped him there, but I didn't even get to finish when I said. "It's no longer Hunt–"

"Mne vse ravno!" He howled. "Screw your first name, last name, and everything that goes with it! You! You are responsible for everything that happens to my kindred! You and all you Hunters!" Abruptly I felt his knuckles whacking into my face, coercing me to unconsciously stumble from where I was standing.

The fast click is the next sound I hear, and I don't even have to turn around to realize that those are my men who are just aiming at Petrov.

Instructing them to lower their weapons, I pinched my nose with one hand. Taking a seat on the nearby sofa, I motioned for Vladimir to do the same.

Otherwise, this man would already be dead and then hanged in front of all the people in Times Square, but seeing him live, and knowing that he is one of the last of his kind, does not give me any peace of mind to kill him.

Maria would not like that.

Maria would not like many things I did.

"Vladimir, please take a seat. Let's get a drink and talk like real people." I said, waving with my free hand before the butler brought out a tray of drinks and two crystal glasses. "What is the purpose for your visit? I would be more than gleeful to help an old friend, and former associate. Or maybe, I own you something?"