𝟎𝟏

["And that there is no force in the world greater than our love."]

Luca called me after a few minutes, hoping that at least this time I would listen to him.

Unlike me, he did, indeed, turn over a new page and change his life from the roots. His current job now is a full-time cop.

No less than a damn cop.

Initially, I was unable to take any action regarding the situation because we didn't know each other well enough. But in the end, we got closer and united, only for the sake of our miserable lives.

After everything that happened five years ago, I needed someone who encountered the same desolation as me.

"Did you hear the news?" Luca asked cautiously, but even he knew that no news excites or thrills me anymore. Oh how wrong I was.

"Old Vasiliye is dead."

It took me a few seconds to clear my mind and grasp what he said. The words don't reach my head in the order I want them to, but I'm still ticking and kicking.

I sat up on the sofa, clutching the phone in my fist. "When?"

Luca let out a breath before responding. "Last night. We were notified at the station only this morning. You know the procedure." He paused for a moment, waiting for my response. "Are you alright?"

It didn't trigger me as much as when I found out about the death of Teodora Petrova who died a few weeks after her children. The poor woman looked nothing but like a cadaver, and I could not help but pity her as I behold her coffin being lowered by the graves of her children.

The material under my hands crumpled and tightened under the pressure.

"I'm fine," I said with a raspy voice, stretching my legs. My breath hitched, feeling the drops of sweat running down my skin like little razors, slicing my skin in half.

I tried not to think about this possibility, but even that is inevitable.

"I know that you wanted to take care of that," Luca spoke in a low voice, not waiting for me to respond. "I know you didn't want this to end like this."

I didn't want this to end at all. I tried, I really tried. I even protected them as much as I could. But Maria once told me, "Death is an incurable disease," so I stopped trying.

The Petrovs still haven't fully recovered from the death of their children. Their economy and finances declined by only thirty-five percent. And it's gonna fall again until no one is left.

I looked up at the ceiling. Nothing is interesting or specific about the flow of it, but I liked the silence it created and the way the gray color rested my eyes. Only then did I notice that the phone was no longer in my hand, but that it had slipped between the mattresses.

"Yi didn't call you back?" Luke's voice carried from the small speaker on my phone to the room I was in. "He's not dead, isn't he?"

If I know anything it's that Yi Harper is not dead at all costs. The man is too tenacious, resistant, and unmanageable, and with a woman by his side, he is not willing to give up on his life that quickly.

Luca's eager release of air distracted me from my thoughts. "He's been in China for five years, and I haven't heard from him once. You know why he didn't go back there sooner."

Yes, I know, but that is not my story to tell or think about while I have considerable work that I have been putting off for some time.

Luca sighed before continuing. "You don't talk much now. Did something happen?"

My eyes fell on the folder on the table in front of me, and if my right arm was not in bloody damn bandages, I would run my fingers over the cover.

I breathed, leaning back comfortably in the armchair and crossing one leg over the other. "The little man came today. He brought the papers. It's over."

I smiled to myself a little, looking again at the black cover.

I will avenge you, my love.

Luke's breathing hitched at his laughter. "God, Aaron. Congratulations, I know you worked hard for this. Even after..." I can hear him clear his throat, willing himself to continue. I played with my tongue inside my cheek, distracting myself from the thought swirling in my mind. "I mean, it's really great that you're back on your feet." A few moments later no one said anything.

"She would be proud, you know?" I don't have to answer that, much less do I want to.

I know she is watching me from above. Probably swearing at me the way she knows I love.

I smiled to myself.

Dickhead. She used to call me.

I just want her to know what I did for her. Today, tomorrow, and every other day until I let out my last breath.

I want everyone to know about the money I invested, the foundation I created for the child I lost a long time ago, and the woman I didn't know how to save.

All the things I did.

I did for them.

"Calia," I called for her after perceiving her trying to slither past me unnoticed. Her, long black hair swayed as she turned, along with her abyssal blue eyes that pierced me with a strong look.

"Yes?" The corner of her lips lifted a little as she stepped towards me.

She knows why she's here, and again
her eyes made that innocent look that she knows is infuriating me.

"Your hand," I said riled. As she held out her hand the leather gloves of my fingers wrapped around her taut wrist, pulling her closer to me.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see her smirking as my gaze fell on her hand. With one easy movement, I lifted the sleeve of her black blouse, exposing her pale skin. I studied the surface for a few moments before dropping her arm in the air.

"Good. Now get ready, we have some work to do."

"As you say boss," Calia answered before walking past me.

I've never liked this part of the job, especially since I remember why I do it. I don't like the feeling or the memory of it.

I think I don't like memories at all.

I exhaled deeply and adjusted the gloves so that the leather tightened around my fingers. My shoes made a sound as I stepped through the door all the way to my car.

As we started driving, I watched the sky and clouds, trying to absorb and feel them. The cold wind whipped my face, but I didn't complain.

Just then I noticed that we sped up for a moment. I barely caught a glimpse of the place we passed, and I felt like I almost wanted to jump out the window.

As we drove a few more yards, only then did I manage to exhale and lean back on the empty seats.

It was her grave that we passed.

And it was her face that haunted my mind.